Adam Without Pity

Adam Lambert Discussion Within
It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 268 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Voice
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:33 pm 
World Domination

open2it wrote:
Thanks, Hathor...I "google'd" it, too! ;) To me, Simon's challenge reeks of desperation. Honestly, how many "bests' can there be?

I think Nigel brushed off the challenge...saying his winners will be/are stars no need to compete again

Yes, for Simon it does seem a cry of desperate..and Javier too... The Voice is not really following up or supporting their finalists and winners

If the winner doesn't start doing better..how will it attract the better contestants?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:45 pm 
Star Traveler

The only one who has done anything for his artists is Blake.

He put his winner Dia Frampton on tour with him and got Xenia an EP.

Celo and Kristina have done zip with their winners.

Javier made a cd no fanfare, no promotion and that is it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:51 pm 
World Domination

Hathor wrote:
The only one who has done anything for his artists is Blake.

He put his winner Dia Frampton on tour with him and got Xenia an EP.

Celo and Kristina have done zip with their winners.

Javier made a cd no fanfare, no promotion and that is it.

So... when these people get contracts, it has nothing to do with their mentors? I'm thinking of Bev--she put out a cd. Wait, did Bev win? Did Xtina have anything to do with that? I don't even remember who was the winner in CeLo's group! And yeah, I know Javier has a cd, but only because of THIS thread.

However, I'm pretty sure this show has upped Adam Levine's $$$ opportunities, as well as Blake's. I've certainly seen and heard more about them since they became part of this show.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:56 pm 
World Domination

Ooops...I meant to post in Main...I moved it there. heh

Last edited by open2it on Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:11 pm 
Star Traveler

Celo's winner was Vicki Martinez.

Whom I thought was great.

From what I remember reading Bev used her $$ from the show to put out her own cd.

She was not signed or anything.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:13 am 
World Domination

If Javier won and was signed we have to assume I guess there is also a agent/manager etc. Perhaps the judges/mentors have nothing to do with the winners after the show

I do think Blake took it further maybe by having Dia open for him...

Javier opened for Taylor Hicks I think. What kind of tour does Taylor do..is it big..?

It's just a shame that this show didn't give them a better boost I to the business..but then I never felt any of them were particularly interesting.

Being the first year it seems similar to the first year of Idol just lamer

Really wish all the battle rounds were voted on by the public

And for the record...I never knew who Levine was before The Voice..haha.I didn't listen to maroon 5. I never listened to xtina or Shelton either....didn't know anything about any of them really....I don't own any music by any of them :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:07 am 
Star Traveler

The way the judges talk they do work with them after the show. In the studio etc.

If Javier was provided a manager and promo budget you could have fooled me.

Blake has continued his mentorship of both Dia and Xenia. So he is obviously to me anyway more
invested.

I did not know Blake but he was the only one.

Taylor Hicks does a few small shows a year. It is nothing big from what I have read.
There are some fans of his on here so maybe they know more.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:25 pm 
World Domination

Read something I thought was interesting in USA Today. In the tv section, they had a blurb about tonight's episode of AI and said something to the effect "Maybe one reason for The Voice's success has been its less-than-apocolyptic approach to the competition that Idol encourages." They were referring to the drama of the backstory/group drama/all the collapses, backstabbing, fainting, stress and crying stuff that surround the first shows in an AI season and how the feeling of The Voice as a competition is NOT like that.

Hadn't really thought of it like that, but it's an interesting hypothesis, imo.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:52 pm 
Star Traveler

Well the Voice doesn't hold cattle call auditions. You are invited to audition.

Michael Castro, AI's Jason Castro's brother was invited.

So the Voice is not getting the nut jobs and loonies who think they can sing but can't.

The judges only need to sit through a quarter of the auditions the AI judges do.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:27 am 
Media Maven

Blake has definitely done the most for his artists (I think that must be more the norm in the Country Music world). I have Xenia's EP. :) (I always liked her better than Dia).

Just ftr - CeeLo did have Vicki Martinez perform with him recently, but it was a one-off.

Bev McClellan has been promoting herself for the most part, but she did a short tour with Michael Grimm (winner of AGT a couple years ago), and I think that must have been set up by someone else - agent? promoter? I heard some clips from the shows - sounded really good and wish I could have attended.

Although Bev is back to what she's been doing for a long time (self-promoting) I think her exposure on The Voice has gotten Bev a bit more recognition and more work, and she always seems grateful for the opportunity it provided her.

Quote:
Well the Voice doesn't hold cattle call auditions. You are invited to audition.
Yes and no. The Voice does have some regional auditions, which is how they get some of the folks who have zero experience. But I believe they also have scouts who visit lots of small venues, some on recommendations to hear a specific artist, some just to scope out new talent. Either way - someone does only get before the judges (or behind the judges as it happens!) by invitation.

Hathor - I wish Michael Castro had made it farther - I have some of his music. I like it. Another artist I like - Chris Nathan - also auditioned for the Voice; he does sort of a southern soul kind of music. Obviously he has not been able to reveal much about the outcome up to now, but I was disappointed not to see him on my TeeVee. :(

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:47 am 
Star Traveler

I have Xenia's cd and I love it. wish it would get radio play.

Michael is hoping for a call back. I have his cd and donated to help him make his next cd because I love Fly Away.

His voice is so distinctive. If you ever get to see him live he is hysterical. Funny kid.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:19 am 
World Domination

I swear--the sound of some of these singers on The Voice MUST be different live from what I'm hearing through my television because I wasn't impressed with most of those who were chosen tonight! The only one I really, really liked was Christina's last choice--Sera.

If I can remember the run downs well enough, I think Adam and Christina have the strongest teams?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:04 am 
Star Traveler

Ha I thought the ones chosen sounded worse than those not chosen last night.

Some not chosen were really good. Douchey opera dude, cute guy who had all the screaming.

But I have no clue who is on whose teams as yet.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:09 pm 
Media Maven

Quote:
Ha I thought the ones chosen sounded worse than those not chosen last night.
You and me both.
I felt bad for the veteran singer who was 68 and was trying for a comeback - he was a real talent. Also David Dunn, who had the whole crowd on their feet. And even though a lot of people thought he was too arrogant, I actually liked Cameron Novak.

I think some of the people were selected just to make it easier to dump someone in the battle rounds. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:27 pm 
Star Traveler

I hate that everyone is not given a fair and equal chance but rather fodder is chosen.

UGH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:51 pm 
World Domination

Man, I really didn't agree with a lot of the judges' choices last night. Now the Jesse and Anthony battle? That was a draw, imo. They were both fantastic. But I would've chosen the woman over the opera dude (can't remember names). And I thought the tall blonde was better than the young country kid. And I thought the not-Disney-friend-of-Xtina guy sounded better. And the battle between the two rockers on Blake's team? A woman and a guy....he picked the woman, but I thought the guy was better.

It really must sound different live than over the tv; otherwise, my musical ear has totally lost its value! ;)

But dayum! Jesse and Anthony's song was amazing!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:33 pm 
Star Traveler

My picks were the opposite every time last night.

I love Jordis Unger from Rock Star but she was not good.

Oh well

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:25 pm 
Glittery Superstar

Hathor wrote:
My picks were the opposite every time last night.

I love Jordis Unger from Rock Star but she was not good.

Oh well

Jordis was a hot mess, wasn't she? I keep telling my husband how great she is, but he's questioning my judgement! Granted, the song wasn't the best choice for either of them, but that's Blake for ya. Not the best song picker-outer for his team! Maybe he can put Kelly in charge of that. On the other hand, Jordis selected Baby I'm Amazed for her audition song and it wasn't all that either.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:23 pm 
Star Traveler

I think Jordis is going through an identy crisis.

Where is the punkish intense girl?

This Jordis lite is not working for me.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:14 pm 
World Domination

Whoa. Just caught up with the episode I missed last night. I wasn't impressed with anybody really. I mean, there were some good voices that didn't do anything for me connection wise--and then there were some decent performances that fell short (or flat) vocally.

I actually muted a few of the songs since I couldn't fast forward with On Demand. And the judges seemed uncomfortable in a few cases, trying to come up with some commentary that wouldn't cut to the quick. Ouch.

The last guy, crap...what's his name....black dude whose wife left him and daughter, etc., has a great voice, sang What a Wonderful World? I think I'd have to say he was the best of the show. I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:20 pm 
Star Traveler

Open2it, the Voice better pick up or this gal is going to tune out.

Last night was putrid to me.

All I could think of were all the contestants that were great whom the judges did not turn around for or the insanity
that occured during the battle rounds.

It all reeks of the Voice being desperate to orchastrate the show for the winner they desire.

REEKS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:44 pm 

I am also very close to tuning out from this season. Which really pains me to say because I have watched every darn show so far. Last night was a huge disappointment. The Voice band is superb. What a waste on these singers. The band and the staging totally eclipsed the contestants. The arrangements weren't all that either. I particularly hated the rearrangement of the Maroon 5 song as "country." I am a country fan and I know Blake is very loyal to his singers but Rae Lynn was just awful. Jordis has totally lost her stage presence and doesn't seem to be able to technically sing as well as she did years ago on Rockstar Inxs. At just 22, she did a very good job with some classic rock and pop. Now she seems to be a shell of what she was as a youngster:

BabaOReilly

I will watch next week to see the other teams but the show needs to get better fast or the ratings are going to tank.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:19 pm 
Star Traveler

Jordis is the biggest disappointment. I so loved her and was so hopping for her.

WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED.

She lost her voice, her swag, her confidence and her committment to the song.

Ray Lynn just got voted through.

Are you kidding me? She is HORRIBLE

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:38 pm 

I was hoping not to ever hear another Rae Lynn song. Yikes. Blake is usually such a stickler for pitch that I was surprised he didn't mention it last night. Jordis is sounding better on Wild Horses. Hope she makes it.

ETA: And Jordis made it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:07 pm 
Star Traveler

Jordis hopefully drops the nerves and just goes for it.

She did sound much better.

I was pulling for her.

From Xtina's face she was not happy with who America put through and who she had to choose from.

I thought her remaining 3 all sounded better than they did the night before.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 268 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next