Adam Without Pity

Adam Lambert Discussion Within
It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 

Private or public forum - Vote now
Continue the board as is 24%  24%  [ 12 ]
Make private, i.e. only registered members can read 27%  27%  [ 13 ]
Make private AND require some form of application/form before can be approved 49%  49%  [ 24 ]
Total votes : 49
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:00 pm 
Administrator

Dear all:

I actually had no intentions of making this a private forum, but lately we have had quite a large number (relatively speaking) of new users with gibberish names. It seems suspicious to me. I deleted about 5 yesterday, and more tried to sign up this morning. It may be nothing, but I am just not sure. A number of them could be spam bots but since they were able to activate themselves at their email account, just seems odd.

The other thing is people posting photos of themselves here and various other private information, and I don't know if you want just anyone and everyone able to come to the board as a "guest" (who never registered) and read everything.

So the issue is, would you guys prefer this board to be private? It would mean that you must be logged in to read. Guests not logged in would no longer be able to read the forum. (But they could easily register and then go right back to lurking if they wish.)

My other thought was to have a short form that I would send to potential members, nothing convoluted, but just a short form that they would need to fill out so that I could make sure it's actually a real person/fan of Adam hopefully rather than someone trying to scam us in some way.

So please vote on what you would prefer. If you guys want everything to stay as is that is perfectly fine with me.

Thanks!

p.s. On further consideration, as of right now the form would simply be an email from me asking that they reply to it and verify they are not a bot of some sort and that they actually did intend to sign up to this Adam Lambert forum. Something to that effect. It's not going to be a 15-page application or anything like that.

Or....maybe an essay that we would then post for all to see. Heh. JK.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:38 am 
Not Theatrical Enough

The fourth option is to keep it public, but have registration moderated. I think we're more likely to get trolled by users who want to mock if it's private. If it's open, they can still mock on their websites, of course, but there's less reason for them to try to get login IDs and troll here.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:54 pm 
On the Roof

I kinda like the idea of having to write an essay: "Why I love Adam Lambert." It wouldn't be too difficult.

But seriously, I like Mary's idea of keeping it public and have registration modded so we can throw out trolls. I can't remember back to when I signed up (I'm proud to have been one of the earlier members!), but does the registration form use one of those boxes where you are supposed to copy the characters? I find those annoying, but it might help to keep out bots.

Initially I was leaning toward making the board private, but after hearing the stories of numerous members who found out about us without an invite, I don't want to do anything to make it harder for our kind of Adam fans to find this refuge. Whatever we do, we run the risk of getting crashed by idiots, so I'd like to hold our heads up and continue to be who we are.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:49 pm 

Just to add to the public/private question. I don't think going private will make us impossible to find. The board itself is already listed as a fan board and will continue to be so. Google will make it possible to find also. Going private does not mean that nothing can be seen. Many private fan boards do leave some limited threads viewable by non members. I think it is definitely a good idea to make gift plans, concert meet ups and ticket exchanges, personal pictures and info,and certain topics/discussions viewable only by members. Nothing is 100% because a good computer geek can probably back door into just about anything. Plus there are the inevitable double agents. There are boards that exist only to mock other boards, posters and fans. Some post pictures and personal information. Privacy is at least a small deterrent to the casual trouble maker and makes it easier to find and report the chronic ones to service providers or authorities.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]