Adam Without Pity

Adam Lambert Discussion Within
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:22 pm 
Administrator

If you know how to do something that others may have a problem with (posting photos, making a link, or anything else that we get questions about in main), repost here.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:37 pm 
Media Maven

Peridot wrote:
Glamsnooky wrote:
Peridot, what program did you use for your conversion? Yours is 6.x MB and mine was only 4.X something (from an online convert service).
Glamsnooky, I use Freecorder set at 192kbit/s. You can set it much higher than that or do wavs.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:58 pm 
OMFG

MadTex wrote:
Quote:
MadTex - did someone answer your technical questions?

Nope. No answers, yet. Got some for me?:)

To get the person's name in the quotation you just click on the quote button (bottom right) instead of the reply button.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:04 pm 
OMFG

Quote:
Okay, what did I do wrong? Why did the Quote:brackets show up? I want a pretty little quote box like everyone else!

To just put quotation marks around something you're posting - like a news article or something someone "not here" said - just "select" your text and then click on the Quote box in the menu that's at the top of the reply box. the same one that has B i u, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:56 pm 
Media Maven

cadillacjackie wrote:
That WLL youtube vid has some protections on it - can't grab it with my YouTube downloading software, clipnabber or youtubeDownloader...hmmm, I'll have to call in the big guns for this one....

princessazula wrote:
Have you tried this one? http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/
This is what I use and I was able to grab it off youtube.

Cheryl911 wrote:
cadillacjackie , Try this one...it's really easy...
http://www.savevid.com/

WinkyDink wrote:

Last edited by newland21 on Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:00 pm 
Media Maven

re: getting a new IP address
LaStupenda wrote:
Wouldn't just resetting your modem or router also work? I do that quite frequently as my internet is unstable at best because of where I live, and I usually get a new IP address.

kaetsa wrote:
Resetting your router and modem might give you a new IP address on your private network, but it won't change the IP address of the modem that the outside world sees. For a PC, If you go to start, run, type in cmd and click ok or hit enter and this brings up a dos window, in that window type in ipconfig /all, hit enter, then you will see the IP address of your computer. (For a Mac) It's going to be something from like 192.168.1.101 and it comes from your router assigning your PC an IP Address.
If you go to this site, you will see the IP Address that your modem has and this is the IP Address your modem has been assigned by your ISP and the one that the world sees. It is probably going to be 24. something.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:08 am 
and drawing lucky number one

I already put this in main and reposting here. I tried to send a PM last night and it's still sitting in my out bin. I created a folder and moved all my sent and received messages into it. It hasn't made a difference as the message is sitting in the out bin. Do I need to delete the messages I moved to the folders to make more room? What should I do next so the message can be sent? thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:10 pm 
Media Maven

laynie wrote:
I already put this in main and reposting here. I tried to send a PM last night and it's still sitting in my out bin. I created a folder and moved all my sent and received messages into it. It hasn't made a difference as the message is sitting in the out bin. Do I need to delete the messages I moved to the folders to make more room? What should I do next so the message can be sent? thanks!
The message stays in the "Outbox" until the person it is sent to reads it. Then it moves to the "sent" box - I know - not really intuitive!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:12 pm 
and drawing lucky number one

thanks newland21!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:27 am 
Half-full, half-full

I have a techy question...I downloaded or upgraded the newest version of Realplayer and it lets me save the videos from everywhere...but how do I take them from the Realplayer library to my computer?
thanks!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:38 pm 
Media Maven

I'm not sure about RealPlayer (Used to have it but don't at the moment) - but my guess is if you have downloaded something into that library - it's actually already on your computer. The "library" is really an organizer. Right click on a song in your library, and see if there is an option to "Open Location Folder" or something similar. That should tell you where the file was stored. If that doesn't work, check your default Downloads Folder and see if your files are there - from there you can move or copy them wherever you want.

If the files are literally only on-line in a library, there should be an "Export" function that will let you send them to a folder on your hard drive.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:57 pm 
Half-full, half-full

newland21, I feel like an idiot. When I right clicked it gave me an option to copy to my music/videos etc...could not have been easier...thank you so much!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:35 pm 
Media Maven

grammafan wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:43 pm 
...hold me in my arms...

Here are some steps to help resize pictures using photobucket. If any of it is confusing, please let me know so that I can make it clearer. TY

Resizing pictures in photobucket:
1. put your cursor on the photo, you should see across the top "edit, move, delete, share"
2. click on "edit"
*it takes a minute or so, then
3. select "resize" from the top toolbar options
4. look for "new size," ;
*to the right there is a slider option, put the cursor on the "width" slider and slide to the left. Your picture won't look smaller but it is making it smaller, hehehe!
5. Make sure "keep proportions" is checked on! There should be a red check there automatically, but make sure there is, ok?
***I have found you have to make the pictures no larger than 700 units across or it stretches the page here at AWOP. You can just enter 700 into the width box instead of using the slider in step #4 above. ***
6. once you are done, select "apply" (***very important step***)
7. Finally, under the picture select either "save a copy" or "replace original" depending on your choice. The first couple of time I would save a copy just to be on the safe side.

I hope this helps and is not too confusing! :) Feel free to PM me if you still need help.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:27 am 
OMFG

To resize using tinypic.com:
If you're using tinypic.com, you can resize by using the little tab under the browse section.
640 x 480 is the appropriate size for the board.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:50 pm 
Media Maven

Law Mom wrote:
I have spent the summer downloading and saving my favorites. Here is the method to my madness: I wait two weeks after a concert, then using Kaetsa's playlists, I download all the complete videos (I hate clips) with RealPlayer. Then I watch them by song, and delete all but the best, which I label by title, date and city. When I saw two days ago that the videos may come down I started downloading like crazy to try to catch up, but I won't start the culling process until I've saved everything. Then my plan is to listen to each performance to get the best vocals and make mp3s of the very best, which may require going back to youtube to find the video with the best sound quality. Once I've done that I'll select the 10-12 best videos of each song to keep and delete the rest. That's the plan, anyway.

MadTex wrote:
Sorry for my ineptitude, but when you say you download the vids with RealPlayer, how exactly you do you do this so they are saved on your harddrive and not youtube? Are you using the free, downloadable RealPlayer or something else? I've tried ripping mp4's, but for some reason I never get the video, just the audio. A codec problem maybe? The little bit I know about this stuff I've learned here or on TOB in the last few months. My knowledge is very limited!

glammax wrote:
Since I'm also not sure if my RealPlayer versions of tour videos will be there, I went back to the original YT videos and downloaded them to play on VLC Media Player. These ARE on my hard drive and no longer have any YT coding attached to them.

Buderschnookie wrote:
Make sure you have the latest Real Player.

I am using a simple youtubeloader.com and it's working great.

princessazula wrote:
MadTex, I don't know about Real Player but I use this
http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/
It gives me a suite of options--to make mp4's, mp3's, etc. I don't know how it compares to other downloading options but I've been really happy with it. It also allows me to set the format to HQ so if that is available it downloads HQ. It opens the clips with VLC player. What I like is that it is easy and quick.

MadTex wrote:
Thanks for all the speedy answers! One more question, will any of the sites mentioned upthread allow me to open mp4s in iTunes? I can't ever seem to make that work. I have no problems with mp3s.

Law Mom wrote:
I downloaded RealPlayer a few months ago when the latest version was in beta. When you watch videos in youtube and some other places as well, a download button automatically pops up and all you have to do is click to save to your hard drive. Make sure to click the HQ button before downloading. Files save as flv except youtube HD saves as mp4. Also, I found that if you try to download more than six or seven at once the program can crash, so I limit myself to five at a time.

MadTex wrote:
SUCCESS!! I used the dvdvideosoft site, and the mp4s are actually showing up in my iTunes! I tried RealPlayer, too, but it seems if I open if RealPlayer I can't also open in iTunes. Is this right, or am I doing something wrong? I like having both options, anyways, because I don't want everything to open in iTunes. Thanks so much for all the help!! MUAH!!!

kaetsa wrote:
I use this for vids. It's a firefox extension and you grab the YT video right out of the browser window. I usually dl HQ18 or 22 depending on what's offered. I use this link for mp3s since it offers 128bitrate (click on mp3 high quality) which will have a slightly better sound than the usual 64bitrate most of those links offer. To make it easier for later, I have a tour folder that has folders for each city and when I save the mp3 and mp4, I put the YT username at the end of the title. Ex. Adam Lambert Bowie medley American Idol last tour stop Manchester NH 9-15-09-morphinemouse.mp3. The only thing I added to that was morphinemouse. Anything else is not needed because it's in a folder labeled Manchester. I hope this helps anyone just starting.

I love External HDs. They also have flash drives now that hold up to 16 gbs and they fit in your pocket. :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:14 pm 
hot milk and biscuits

This is maybe a really simple question. In my review of the guidelines, I saw that we are to host photos in our own account (like photobucket). Can someone explain how to do this so I can stay in compliance, but still post pics on the board?

Thanks for your help.

*crossing fingers that it is not difficult to do*

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:16 pm 
Media Maven

grammafan - it's easy. Just set yourself up a photo hosting account at any of the free hosting sites, like photobucket, flikr or image shack. (Or if you are really into photos there are many more for a small fee - I use smugmug for $25/yr).

When you post photos into your online account, there will be a way to obtain the url of a whole album/gallery, or of a specific photo (varies by site). Usually, you can get a variety of sizes - some sites will specify a size appropriate for message boards, but at any rate, there will be a different url for each size.

If you post just the url, it will create a link to your account. If you put the link in [img] tags, it will put the photo into the post - but be aware it is pulling bandwidth from your site.

I keep meaning to set up a photo account for the Board...but I get distracted. Hopefully this weekend...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:43 am 
hot milk and biscuits

Thanks so much, newland21. I printed your answer off to follow. Appreciate you taking the time to spell it out for me.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:08 am 
Media Maven

northernlight wrote:
laynie wrote:
<snip> Northernlight Your gif is stunning! Damn, couldn’t save it in my photobucket - error message saying the source file is over the file size limit. And, I wasn’t able to get La’s link to d/l either - sounds like it totally surpasses any of the other online versions. I must try again tonight.

laynie, you could try saving it to tinypic.com (that's where I saved it to). They allow a pretty large upload and they will keep it on there unless it doesn't get a download for a period of 90 days.

Quote:
A few relevant sections from the tinypic.com FAQ...

What is the limit on image size? The image size limit is 1600 pixels (either width or height). Images that are too large are resized to the largest acceptable size. Use the Resize drop-down list on the Upload page to resize your own images when you upload them.

What are the limits on video? The file size limit is 100 Megabytes. The video length is limited to 5 minutes. If you upload a video longer than 5 minutes it will be truncated to 5 minutes.

How long are images and videos kept? Images and videos is in your account will not be removed. Images and videos that are not associated with an account are kept until they have not been viewed for 90 days. After 90 days, they may be removed.

Can I make my images and videos private? Currently all images and videos uploaded are public. If you would like better control over your images and videos, we recommend using Photobucket.

You can either become a member (or not). The rules are the same (except if you are a member, your images/videos will never be deleted unless by you). I found this site a good alternative to the freebie version of Photobucket.

Another thing...if you're not a member of tinypic, you have to save your image links in a Notepad file or some other word processing file in order to have a record of them and be able to go back to them if you want. It's somewhat annoying but not overly so (or at least I haven't found it difficult to keep track of the ones that I want to...and I don't bother saving the links of ones I don't care too much about (like links to a twitter that I created an image out of [to post here] or others of that type).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:42 pm 
Media Maven

LaStupenda wrote:
Quote:
And this is way OT. Can someone explain to me the bit rate on iTunes? I remember La posted about changing your preferences awhile back, and I think I followed her directions to change to a 320 bit rate. I'm confused as to what songs actually get loaded at this rate? It's my understanding that anything purchased off iTunes (after their upgrade) has a bit rate of 256. Hardly anything I've downloaded and none of the cd's I've uploaded are 320 kbps. Since listening to all the different bit rates of FYE, I now know it makes a huge difference. I want to make sure I have my preferences set right. If anyone can help, we can continue the discussion in PM so as not to muddy up the board.

Edit > Preferences > Import Settings > MP3 Encoder > Custom > Stereo Bitrate > 320kbps > Sample Rate > 48khz > Channels > Stereo

This only works with imported CD's. All songs downloaded on iTunes are 256kbps regardless of your import settings.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:39 am 
Media Maven

iTunes Gifting
kaetsa wrote:
On the older version of Itunes, you type in Adam Lambert in the search box and press enter. It takes you to Adam's page and when you see FYE, click on his beautiful image. Don't click Buy Album, click on silver, hand on face Adam. :) Now, you are on the FYE single page and right under buy album, you can click on Gift this music and it takes you to the gifting page. You fill in their email, name (I usually just put first names) and make a comment if you want. You gift it. You usually have to put in your password to confirm. Then click done and it gives you the option of gifting another one.

If you are on a newer version of Itunes, you can type Adam Lambert in the search box and press enter. After going to his page, you should see an arrow right beside buy song. If you click the arrow, if gives you the option of gifting the song.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:03 am 
Rhinestones on my eyelids

I think someone posted the How To of this before but I don't know where to find it.

When you post a link how do you change the long link to a shortened one - like "Adam in Elle", etc.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:13 pm 
Media Maven

Quote:
how do you change the long link to a shortened one - like "Adam in Elle"

Put "= the url address" inside the open tag, and the short name you want between the open and close tags. Like this (do not leave the spaces around the "=" - I am doing that so the code shows!"):

[url = urladdress.com]Short name[/url]

eta: ~you're welcome!

Last edited by newland21 on Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:58 pm 
Rhinestones on my eyelids

StreetJazz

WhooHoo! Thanks newland!