Adam Without Pity

Adam Lambert Discussion Within
It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: GlamNation Tour!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:58 pm 
Media Maven

Des Moines, IA
September 3, 2010

ItsNotAboutYou
ItsNotAboutYou wrote:
I see no one has recapped Des Moines yet. I will post the recap I posted at another board in a concert thread. Sorry, it's long. I would absolutely edit it except I really want to eat breakfast and get out of here. Getting my hair done & a pedicure later today in the Twin Cities so gotta scram to make it there.

I'd like to thank Arista for getting me back into Adam a few months ago and convincing me I should see him in concert. Since I'm always last minute, I didn't really commit to coming until Tuesday or Wednesday night so unfortunately it was too late for her to commit as well. Too bad, it would've been fun since we've known each other online for a very long time. Pre-Adam.

That meant I didn't have tickets. I didn't think that would be a problem since the bridge is bigger than the original venue but a guy was selling his extras outside the gates anyway and I got a great deal on them. $20. (I really thought he was going to ask for more.) It turns out that the show allegedly did sell out so I got lucky.

The Venue:

I'm staying at the hotel near the venue. The original venue looks awesome. Small but awesome! The amphitheater is down near the water (hence why the back end of it was flooded) but the grassy area facing the stage is majorly sloped so I bet there wouldn't have been a bad view in the house.

But it wasn't there, it was at the bridge. I am a bit confuzzled by the "OMG, we're playing on a bridge" tweets. It's like a street concert. Waltnut St., in the back of the hotel, was blocked off. I drove on it last night and it didn't appear to be a major thoroughfare. Locust St., which goes in front of the hotel and is less than a quarter mile away from Walnut, is the more "main" of the roads. The stage was set up at the beginning of the bridge, closest to the hotel, and was not over water. The audience entered on the West side of the bridge so anyone at the hotel basically went around the block and we stood on the bridge over water. That was kind of annoying when we left. I would've loved to be let out on the East side and just walk back to my room.

But all in all, I thought it made for a pretty cool venue.

The Crowd:

I thought if I went after the gates technically opened, I wouldn't have to wait in line that long. I wasn't a "rush the stage" type so no biggie. Boy was I wrong. The line started at the entrance to the Walnut St. Bridge, went around the (stunning) old library on the river and up over the Locust St. Bridge. (If I hadn't gotten in, I was going to watch from this bridge.) I was next to two wonderful girls/women in their twenties. One of them had seen Adam at the mall but wasn't sure at the time because she didn't know he had shaved his head. She regrets not approaching him. We were also surrounded by people who had won a M&G via the radio station. They were glowing from having met Adam but it looks like only those who paid for the 175 M&G got the priority entrance. One duo was an older couple. The other was a young teen/preteen girl and her dad.

And that pretty much describes the makeup of the crowd from what I can tell. It looked like a diverse group of people out for a block party. There were a lot of gay men there and most of them appeared to be partnered up. IA is one of the states were gay marriage is legal. But there were also women and men of all ages and sexualities.

If a reviewer talks about the makeup of the crowd and focuses in on one demo, I will question where they watched the concert. The younger group stood in the standing session in front of the stage. Along the sides, on the sidewalk, people stood and looked to be more middle-aged/older. They set up people with chairs half way over the bridge. Again, those were older/families. Mixed and a great vibe, IMO.

But I'll admit, they weren't the most energetic crowd. They stood and enjoyed his concert but weren't exactly dancing. They came most alive for Fever, SFW & IIHY.

Concerts:

Alli:

I did like Alli. I'd heard she was hard to understand but I didn't find that to be the cast at all. Or at least not most of the time. She was good but like I said before, not buy-her-album good.

Dance Party:

The wait in between sets was close to an hour. There was no backdrop, which I know some had speculated caused the delay at other concerts, so that wasn't it. I really am not sure why that is or what is happening but some guy next to me said "Does he really think he's that big to have us wait that long?" And he enjoyed the concert a lot so it looks like he was a fan just not a fan of the wait.

Adam:

He seemed a bit subdued but I don't have much to compare it with. It doesn't matter, though, because his voice sounded amazing. He tapped Tommy's mouth during Fever but that was about it. The crowd screamed whenever he hit a high note. (And as with every song, his voice had tons more resonance live than it does in vids.)

From where I was, I had a really hard time seeing the dancers and struggled to be able to see Adam. So many tall people went in front. I did get a better glimpse of them during their interlude and I have to say that I really enjoyed it. It went by quickly.

The lighting was such that we could see all the musicians on the stage and since the street lights were on, Adam could see all of us. The lasers and smoke effects weren't really going to work in that situation, though.

**Speaking of smoke, may I rant. I hate inconsiderate smokers who think they're being considerate. There was this one guy who didn't want to smoke next to his friend/date so he's move out of the middle of the standing area to smoke in the back. Except he wouldn't go all the way back, he'd still stand in the crowd, next to me, and smoke. His companion didn't have to suffer the smoke but I did.

Sleepwalker, surprisingly, may have been my favorite of the night. He really nails this song live. So much passion.

Oprah Adam was in effect today but it felt more off the cuff. In other words, if I hadn't heard WYWFM intro a hundred times, it would have at least felt more natural I think than when I first heard it and the "this.is.scripted" really seemed to stand out.

Soaked is my obsession and part of the reason I wanted to see him live. He started singing Soaked and appeared to be more animated than I had seen him in previous vids. He was pointing downriver and I didn't know what he was pointing to. Then at the pause in Soaked, I saw what he had been seeing. Fireworks were going off. He addressed them during the pause and talked about how funny it was that they were going off during the quietest part of the set. (Had he started a few minutes earlier, they would have gone off during the band interlude and that would've been awesome.) As he was finishing Soaked, the fireworks got louder and it looked like he was about to crack up.

He was doing his intro to Aftermath when the grand finale hit so he just stopped and had us watch the end. He turned to the fireworks and said "thank you" and then paused for a second. I think he was trying to remember where he was. "Des Moines!"

The crowd seemed really into SFW which surprised me a bit since it was one of his lesser known songs. (Sony should work at getting it exposure to expand his fan base....not release it as a single but just get it exposure.) Adam got us clapping during MA. Some were dancing during Strut and everyone was jumping during IIHY.

The encore was Mad World and I was a little bummed. It sounded nice but I think this crowd would've loved TCB. Since this is probably my last GN tour, unless it's extended and it comes somewhere closer to where I am, I wanted the Adommy & TCB. (Selfish)

Summary:

It was a great concert. People were excited leaving it. The sound turned out to be really good for both Adam and Alli. I could see people in their hotel rooms watching out. (I wonder if they got the hotel to open their windows for them.) It was hard to feel any wind in the crowd but I bet Adam and the dancers felt it was chilly. It didn't stop Adam from going sleeveless and LP from going topless, though.

The buses were in a weird location so it was not the sort of situation where you'd leave the concert and then just walk over to where the barricades were. You had to know where they were and possibly make somewhat of an effort to get to them so the crowd was small. I was debating whether or not I should go. I am not an autograph seeker so I wouldn't have had anything to sign but I would've loved to see him up close. I didn't and I missed him. Oh well.

Sorry for the long boring post but those are the details if you care to read them. :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:20 pm 
Media Maven

Rockford, IL
September 4, 2010

Susan L
Susan L wrote:
I just got home from Rockford. It was a very long (and chilly) day. This is going to be a drive by, hopefully to be embellished later...

Venue SUCKED--VERY low rent
But sound was quite good.
Audience seemed very local: not very pretty, but VERY smoky.
Adam is a pro.
Critical fans can suck eggs. Adam sounded really good.
The newbies next to me (cool couple, aged 40, rockers) thought he was incredible and look forward to more from him (and loved some of the "insider" info I had to pass on ;-))
Sound check included 20th Cent. Boy, but encore did not. Adam sat for MW encore-but sounded fabulous.
Aftermath? Awesome
Soaked? Beautiful
Fever? Really great dancing--no kiss? who cares. The dancing was really on.
Voodoo Medley---in love again.
My friends who were in the 2nd row said that Adam was having a miserable night--really having it out with the sound people in the wings. From my row 16 seats, all seemed fine except he chose not to do some high notes--the weather was really chilly and there was TONS of cigarette smoke--it was bothering me just standing around...
Zac is really good.
The band and dancers are really tight at this point--the show is really really good. I liked seeing it from a bit further back. I got to see the whole of the stage. I love how powerful the full array of band and dancers are.
Allison's voice is shot.

I will probably never meet Adam (2 people I was with snuck into a M&G--not my style), but I am ok with that.
He deserves a major vacation. I think this was kind of a tough night for him.

MyJacket
MyJacket wrote:
There is no such thing as a bad Adam Lambert concert, but......

Susan L was right, the venue sucked, and my seat sucked even harder (no pics from this one.) He didn't get to use his lasers or the background lighting images at all and it really did have a different vibe.

Funny thing is, the folks behind the fence roping off the reserved seat section had a jumbotron. So the free folks got a better view than a lot of us. eh. This show, however, is meant for a smallish theater, everyone seemed dwarfed on that big stage in front of probably 10,000. Another thing that could have gotten to Adam, while his show was going on, there is a stage that is almost directly back to back with the big one and there was a band....playing....during Adam's concert. Talk about bad timing, protocol, or whatever it was. I could hear them in between songs so I'm damn sure Adam heard them too.

Adam never came out with only his vest on when he starts with SFW. Came out with his circus coat on and kept it on till the end.

I figured he was havng sound problems when at one point I saw him (when lights were down) gesturing madly to the sound guy, and several times between songs the stage went dark and stayed that way for a bit.

I was surprised by the smoking policy and had 3 right in my area.

However, I still had a fabulous time. Can't wait for Peoria tonight, the end of my GlamNation tour.

Met up and chatted with Susan a few times but sorry to say I missed out meeting pjd.

So....he was hot, we were cold.

pjd

pjd wrote:
I'm stopping by with a quick drive-by recap. I'll write my real one in the next day or two...

Yes, it was COLD! We were dressed for it (I even had a winter coat) but many/most of those around us were not. At the end of the concert when we got to our car (about 5 min after end) the temp was reading 51F.
Sound wise, we may have had the best seats in the house :) We were dead center about half way back in the reserved section - the sound was fantastic all night. As MyJacket said, Adam seemed unhappy about the sound and went over to the sound guy to the side a couple times to "discuss" it - with lots of arm gesturing!
Adam was less "sexy rock god" and more cute, fun, adorable Adam last night. I like all sides, so was perfectly happy with that. I suspect he thinks the midwest doesn't like the sexy stuff since our stupid Chicago radio barely plays him. Even WWFM barely got play here.
I am once again impressed, amazed and blown away by his voice. The conditions last night were terrible for a singer - the cold air is terrible for the voice. There were a few minor notes near the end where I think it was starting to affect him and I was not at all surprised there was only 1 encore. That he was able to sing as fantastically as he did in these conditions just blows my mind. Soaked and Aftermath were particularly well sung.
We were on the center aisle that ran between the front and back sections of reserved seating - throughout the concert, there were venue people walking up and down it (I think mostly to keep the people walking through there moving) and keeping an eye on things. Several times we noticed these folks groovin' to the music or would stop for a few minutes to watch Adam and were clearly ejoying it. An older, large dude was even fist-pumping during SFW!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:59 pm 
Media Maven

Rockford, IL
September 4, 2010

Susan L
Susan L wrote:
I’m not very good about writing detailed recaps, but thought I would elaborate a little on the brief I wrote at 2am after my 2 hour drive home post-Rockford.
ETA: IT's long!

My concert day started well—beautiful sunny early fall day. When I stopped for gas, IIHY was playing on the radio. I tweeted PJD my thrill! My drive passed quickly listening to the Joy podcast (thanks Purist & Spindleshay!). I was totally enjoying my solitary Adam drive. Driving into Rockford was a bit sad. It is a very depressed Midwestern city, echoes of its former glory in the rundown buildings downtown. I was meeting with 2 Chicago women and one of their daughters who I had met on the ticket line for Milwaukee back at the beginning of my Glamnation experience. They had 3 tickets in the second row and had sold me an extra they had back in the middle row (PJD and I were in the same row!).

We were all a little dismayed by the low quality of the “music festival”. Not to be totally snobby, but it really seemed beneath Adam. These two women are diehard Idol fans and have “connections”. They go to lots of concerts and get into many M&G’s. They have met Adam twice before and had many 8X10s from the Milwaukee M&G that they hoped to have signed in Rockford. However, their connection had not yet come through for a M&G. They seem kind of amazed at how much I know about Adam, but that I have never met him, and that I could not care less about Lee DeWyze!

We went over to the venue in time to see the buses pull in. The buses were right off the side of the stage. A few people had started gathering. I must admit, I understand Neil’s ranting when I survey this scene. (I just wish he could figure out a more effective way to communicate with overzealous fans so he could actually accomplish his goals). Adam & co. really are like zoo animals in this kind of situation. And the fans that are shouting their names are totally unappealing. The squealing over Tommy is a bit revolting IMO. I found a spot a ways away by the fence surrounding the venue where I could see the stage to watch the soundcheck.

This was what I came early for! Adam was wearing an adorable black porkpie hat with a feather in the brim and his Alexander McQueen jacket with the glittery wings on the back. I just wanted to be able to listen to him sing as much as possible. It was very breezy, but the sound was fantastic outside. I had not seen him outdoors before and was curious to hear the acoustics. His voice was clear as a bell. They ran through the opening medley, Fever, Mad World and Twentieth Century Boy (that excited me since I thought that meant he would perform it that night). In between numbers he sat on one of the platforms and appeared to be texting. It all seemed very laid back.

I don’t want to get into too much drama about my day with my new friends, but my afternoon was a bit overtaken by their desire to get a meet ‘n greet. I have to admit, I started hoping that I might be able to benefit from these mysterious connections, but we ended up standing around the venue for hours as woman and daughter took turns working security and staff trying to see if they could get themselves on the list, or find out if they already were. They know Adam’s tour manager (is this Lane?—I never got a definitive name). They remarked that Adam had no staff in Rockford--that Neil was basically in charge of everything going on with fans/backstage. Well mother and daughter did end up getting into the radio meet and greet—even without a pass. They are hustlers!

I have learned something about myself, and that is that I do not possess the personality of a hustler, and knowing that, I will most likely never meet Adam Lambert. I have since wrestled with that a bit, but I have such strong negative reactions against the many aggressive fans I see at these concerts, I shrink from joining in. I understand the passion/love, I know I share that with them, but I am really turned off by the behavior of some that is pretty ugly, obnoxious and objectifying. In the face of how lovely, gracious and generous (I guess I’m not being very generous toward the fans myself here) Adam is, it is even worse in my opinion.

Their M & G was quick. However, I believe that the folks that had the paid meets got a lot of quality time. My friends said that when they met Adam in Milwaukee he was by far the warmest, sweetest performer they had ever met. He has a gift to be able to make so many feel that way.

We had a very quick dinner of Lao (like Thai) food and made it to the venue for Allison. Before the show started I was happy to be able to connect with PJD. I had not been able to meet up with her before because of waiting around for the meet and greet non-opportunity. I had seen MyJacket outside after the sound check. It’s great to meet up with AWOP friends and feel such a kinship. So far, everyone I meet from here seems to have a lovely balance of love for Adam and consideration for him as a human being.

I found my seat which, like PJD’s was in the first row after the separation between first and second sections. While not really close, the view was unobstructed. My neighbors were great. The woman was an Adam lover and her husband, a rock guitarist. They had accidentally found Adam during Idol and followed him, but are not Idol watchers. They were from Rockford, 40 years old. The husband has great respect for Adam as a musician, but is not a big fan of pop music. I gave him the rundown on the band’s rock credentials. He was impressed and I could feel his mind opening! He knew Prong, Yellowcard, Korn…the two of them were really hoping for acoustic WLL. I told them it was unlikely to happen. They told me how surprised they were that Adam had sold out in Rockford, that it is a conservative, Bible belt, blue collar town. They were thrilled that he had done so well, and that he had actually come to their town!

Allison’s performance was just ok to me. I have since heard that she was sick, and now know that she has had bad label news. Her music doesn’t really appeal to me at this point. She does have great energy and really throws herself into it. However, her voice was really raw, which sounded particularly bad during the acoustic section of her set. I see from tonight’s twitter that the audience loves her.

That takes me back to the venue. By the time the show was starting and it was dark out, it was quite chilly. I think that really quieted the audience energy down. Few people danced during the intermission dance party (I did of course since I will take any excuse to shake my tush). Applause was short-lived between songs, there was little shouting, like during Soaked. Everyone was standing for Adam, and for much of Allison, but I think the combination of temperature and the open air venue dissipated the energy in some ways.

I thought Adam sounded fantastic. He blows me away every time. (It bugs me to read that some people were nitpicking his voice on Twitter). He spoils me from wanting to hear anyone else. The acoustics were really good from where I was. If there were problems with backing tracks or whatever, I was oblivious. He seemed to hold off from some of the big/high notes but nothing detrimental to the performance. I was totally rocked by the band and the dancers. The overall stage show pulsated with energy. There was no backdrop, but I didn’t miss it because I thought the troupe really owned the whole stage. The acoustic set was fabulous. I am not a huge fan of WWFM, but really liked the acoustic versions he did on the promo tour. Last night’s version brought back some of the band’s parts, but was better than the radio version IMO. Soaked and Aftermath were gorgeous. One problem was that when the stage was quiet, we could hear the band playing on the stage on the other side of the building behind Adam’s stage (like I said, the venue sucked). For the most part, Adam totally overwhelmed any other sound. He really is a vocal powerhouse.

The show was excellent and professional if not hot and passionate (like I am reading tonight’s is in Peoria). While I certainly wish I was in Peoria tonight, as I wish I had been at just about every show I have read about, I value that even in adverse conditions, Adam puts on an awesome show.

It took me a long time to get myself out of Rockford--no signage and very confusing roads. I was really wiped out today from such a long day during which I probably was on my feet for about 10 hours.

I love him, in case anyone had any doubts! I don't always love his fans...(but I do love it here).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:07 pm 
Media Maven

Peoria, IL
September 5, 2010

MyJacket
MyJacket wrote:
Let me tell ya, I never thought Peoria had it in them!! That was some rocking out crowd last night and probably the loudest I've been to in six concerts. Who knew? If you look at the balcony in the dance party video you can see the guy dancing that everyone was screaming about. Every show there seems to be one guy dancing his ass off in the balcony and puts on quite a fun show for the rest of us. Last night, however, I was a little skeered this guy was actually gonna fall over that balcony a few times. Also don't know if he got a new shirt after he threw his into the crowd below. Hopeully, he ran down to the merch table (as Allison calls it) and bought himself a new one.

For the most important part of my night.....I Was On The Hair Side!! Yay...*g* I was 6th row and had possibly the tallest couple in the world in front of me. I was really bummed until the show started and the woman sat on the top of her seat for most of the show and the guy would lean over to stay closer to the ground. I meant to tell them afterwards that I appreciated it but they were gone as soon as Adam finished singing. Had a few women in my row bolt before he even finished IIHY, so to get to the buses right away I guess. Whatever.

He was marvelous last night, cracked himself up a few times and sang his heart out. You would never know he has done this very show around 60 times already, he is so focused on putting it all out there every damn night. Thank you, Adam.

I went with a friend who is not particularly a fan but probably went to Rockford and Peoria to enable me. The drive from Chicago was long and dull so she now knows more about Adam than your average bear. *g* She thought he put on a great show, has a great voice and even called a friend during WWFM so she could hear him live. She's accustomed to fandoms and remarked how much fun this fandom has.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:14 pm 
Media Maven

Indianapolis, IN
August 30, 2010

MyJacket - photos
MyJacket wrote:
I'm sorry there are so many but Adam and delete do not go together. I hope you enjoy them.

Here are the rest:

Adam in Indianapolis

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:05 pm 
Media Maven

Dallas, TX
September 7, 2010

MadTex
MadTex wrote:
I can't believe Adam went to Roundup!!! LMAO!!! It's the gay country-western bar. Lots of two-steppin' cowboys and cowgirls and Wranglers.Though they do have karaoke on weeknights. Wonder why he didn't go directly across the street to S4 (which is the "dance clubbiest" of the clubs and has drag shows) or JR's (the very cool gay men's bar with a quasi-laid back vibe. And, yes, we name our gay clubs after the tv show Dallas. The main lesbian club is called Sue Ellen's. Oy.) And, the other two joints are a little seedy, imo, but he was probably less likely to be recognized at any of those clubs.

The show was quite different from the Milwaukee one. I certainly understand fully the comments some of you have made about the theater vs. club venues. The energy from the audience was palpable last night which resulted in tremendous energy from Adam and the band (and Allison. she kept commenting on what a great, enthusiastic crowd we were. she looked so happy that we were into her set.) The sound was actually quite good, considering the acoustics at the Palladium are akin to pouring a bucket of water into a huge barrel just to see where it goes. I couldn't hear Adam's voice as clearly over the band volume as I could in Milwaukee, but it's nothing I would have noticed had I not been at the Milwaukee show. Securing a second row spot was amazing (I'm still in awe that it happened. I really had low hopes for a good standing spot going into the show, and I was find with that. So my great spot was a wonderful surprise!). However, it was difficult to take in the show as a whole that close up, so I missed the effects of the lasers, dancers, and video screen for the most part.(though, I got to see lots of Brooke! I'm envious of and inspired by her abs. I kind of remember what my abs looked like pre-pregnancies. Mmmm...I need to go to the gym.) I feel fortunate to have had the opportunity to see both perspectives.

Adam sounded incredible the whole set. I haven't been watching/listening to youtubes religiously, so I heard many different arrangements and notes from the Milwaukee show. Everything worked exceptionally well. Monte was on fire last night (going all out for his closest show to his hometown, I'm sure. he very well may have had family and friends there.). The things he does with his left hand on that guitar neck tell me Lisa Pittman is a very lucky woman. ;)

I had one of those "he looked directly into my eyes moments" during Soaked. Our eyes met for what seemed like 5 minutes, but was actually only about 3 seconds. I was close enough to the stage for this to legitimately be possible, so I'm going to continue to believe that this is what happened! lol There were some moments in more upbeat songs following Soaked where it seemed he was looking directly at me, as well (but those I'm less confident about!). He spent a good amount of time flirting with an adorable gay boi in the front row a few people to my right. Totally Adam's type excepting that he was probably as tall as Adam. (there were lots of young, gay couples around me, though most were adorably tragic. this very sweet probably 22 yr. old old started crying after Soaked. His boyfriend was comforting him. His crying made this fun woman in her 50s start tearing up, too. They bonded over it; it was quite endearing. (side note: I didn't get that woman's name, but she'd been to many shows including Costa Mesa and Fantasy Springs. She was not from Texas. )

The wait at the Palladium was not bad at all. My companion got there earlier than I and secured our great spot. I was concerned people would protest my attempts to scoot through the crowd to stand next to her, but everyone was so accommodating. There's a restaurant connected to the venue, and I learned if you buy something in the restaurant they let you enter the venue early without standing in line. This is how my friend got our great spot and how I was able to join her before the place filled to capacity. It was also fortunate because once I got to the venue, I realized I was starving and hadn't eaten all day. (I am one of those people that forgets to eat when she gets very busy. I do not recommend this!) Bad plan. So, I asked a security guy if I could get out of line and go into the restaurant and still be able to get into the show. He answered yes, so in I went. While sitting alone at the bar I befriended a very nice woman who came to the show alone. This was her third show. She lived in the area but had also attended the OK City and Kansas City shows. She mainly lurks on the boards and was unfamiliar with AWOP, though she recently started posting on the ALFC. Her name is Winkycat (which brought to mind our own WinkyDink), so if you're over at ALFC, please friend her. She's incredibly nice and sane! She was going to stand with my friend and me for the concert, but once she got up front with us she realized she couldn't see, as she's a bit short (my friend and I are both 5'11", and even then I spent most of Adam's set on eleve. Thank you ballet lessons!)

We went to the buses afterward, but didn't stay long. The rain started getting heavier, and we were sans umbrella. Plus, my friend is a teacher and had to be up at 5am, and I had to be up shortly thereafter to get my DS ready for school. We did see Adam emerge from the back door only to dart right back inside. Had I known Adam was in a two-steppin' mood, I would have stopped by Roundup on my way home. ;) I practically drive right by it.

A note about Allison. . . she is incredible!! I have her album, and I enjoy it. Her songs are rockier live, however, than their pop versions on the album. The rockier style suits both her and the songs better, imo. She is hands down better than any female vocalist on the radio right now (well, not Christina, but she's not really on the radio at the moment is she?) Her stage presence has improved 20 fold from Idol (I missed her 3 song set in Milwaukee). I am perplexed by her lack of commercial success. Has Jive officially dropped her? That's just not right.

I really enjoyed meeting TXArchitect and seeing all her glittery glory! I missed austintoo, but perhaps we'll meet in Thackerville.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:31 pm 
Media Maven

Houston, TX
September 8, 2010

Sister Europe
Sister Europe wrote:
I'm baaaack!!!! That was frickin awesome. No words. Just...no words. We were so close to the stage it was unreal. He looked so beautiful--shaved side of his head covered in glitter/rhinestones--and oh, that voice. His moves! The dancing! I still can't believe what just happened. Oh, and he was all smiley tonight. Just smiling all over the place.

TXArchitect had a lot of cool signs that everyone loved. I also saw Scarlett and her husband. Cutest, coolest couple ever.

It was just glorious. GLORIOUS. I haven't come down yet. Don't expect I will for a while.

ETA: Adam pointed to TXArchitect's sign and said pretty!

TXArchitect's sign
Image[/quote]

boys3girls0 wrote:
Was this one hers too? It looks like the same box seats. LOL!! Nice Brigadoon reference.

Sister Europe wrote:
Yeah, that one was hers, too. She also had a "Dance, Bitches" and "On the Roof, Seeking Proof", hahaha.

ETA: Sleepwalker was amazing tonight. AMAZING.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:57 pm 
Media Maven

Houston, TX
September 8, 2010

TXArchitect
TXArchitect wrote:
a few hours of seep and now getting ready to drive up to Oklahoma for tomorrow's WinStar Casino show...

YES! That IS me (in very bejeweled face) in the Houston Press assholery http://blogs.houstonpress.com/rocks/201 ... php?page=2

I had already planned to do the Glow Stick sign (the one in the pic posted here earlier) and then, at the last minute grabbed a roll of cheap art paper I bought at IKEA for two bucks last year, and literaly, on the way to the Hard Rock pre-party, stopped at the Hobby Lobby and got a couple of poster paint tubes with foam applicators....gave some thought as to catchy phrases that would get the crowd "going" during the intermission (as the Dallas crowd didn't dance during the intermission - I think auditoriums work better for the "Dance Party" vibe as peeps can see each other). Any way, since the Private Box was VERY VISIBLE, I thought, "why not" and, in the 30 minutes I had after the doors opened, and before Allison, I knelt on the floor of the box, rolled out the paper and started writing!

My daughter, her friend, and my husband (HUGE convert story there - later) helped hold the signs. Interestingly, DD had been obviously uncomfortable when I started making them, and I KNEW she thought they would be a big FAIL and I would, once again, embarrass her 14 year old self. The fact that I had gone WAY over the top with the face painting/bendi thing with high pompodor and glitter, not to mention scandalous display of the mighty SPECKELED PUPS was already a burden for her. So, when the moment came that the crowd ROARED at my "Dance, bitches" sign, she looked across at me with the most wonderful smile and actually said "You are so cool, Mom" ... verklempt

In order, the signs were:

Allison (just as she concluded...wanted to start simple...then when crowd noticed...

HOUSTON Dance Party, then

Dance, bitches ! --- as I held one end I looked down and saw two guards looking at it agahst, and thought "Oh shit, I'm going to be arrested for obsenity and my minor daughter is holding the other end of the sign" But the crowd loved it, and no one came to take me away.

Bend to Me, ADAM - Hobby Center was where Adam had spent the summer playing Charlie in Brigadoon ... and the Houston Chronicle review mentioned my signs and the reviewer Joey tweeted about them several times during the concert (I read the tweetfeed after I got home last night, I was so pumped up - couldn't sleep)

I had sold my second Private Box on eBay and the gal who bought it as a surprise for her 20 year old (gorgeous) son and I have become friends via email in the last few weeks...well, their box was next to mine (they were closer to the stage) and we could talk easily over the railing between us/pass glow sticks, etc. So I asked them if they would hold up part one of a two-part sign I had made...and they really got into it. They put up:

On the Roof then I counted to ten slowly, and we put up:

Seeking Proof I knew it would confuse some, but the peeps who "got it" loved it, then

Don't Stop Believin' when that song started to play (right before FYE)

and then I sat on the floor behind our chairs and started cracking Glow Sticks and sticking them to paper for the GlowStick ADAM sign...so I missed the Voodoo beginning...but we put it up briefly just after the medley, and then waited until Adam came out to do his "chat" and held it up then, and sure enough, he called out MY SIGN! Oh Adam!

So, I've got to go, but I have a favor to ask of you -

Could you please PM any pics, vids or reviews you might see that mention my signs? It seems, this morning, I had become a huge hero to my DD and her friend (who spent the night with us) and I want to put together a scrapbook.....

much more later, but, after two EPIC shows, I have to say that Adam REALLY seems to get much more down and dirty and personally ENJOYS the CLUB venues - giving a unique "show" - while the auditorium got the polished, professional version. Both wonderful ... but I like NASTY best.

We'll see what the casino brings. I LOVE YOU PEEPS! - REALLY.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:47 pm 
Media Maven

Thackerville, OK
September 10, 2010

MadTex
MadTex wrote:
Greetings from Thackerville!! Allison just finished her set. This venue is interesting. It's basically a huge hotel banquet hall with banquet chairs. The VIP section takes up most of the food seating (high rollers and such). Our seats are 5 th row stage left, which sounds better than they are. I would call them obstructed view seats. I have a great shot o the soundboard, but that's about it. The best thing about them is they're right next to Austintoo and her adorable DD!

Initially, security told us we could rush the stage, which was fantastic. We got right up at the stage for some of Allison's set. I could also see backstage from there, which was cool! But, the VIP peeps started complaining because they refuse to stand, so security made everyone return to their seats AND sit down. Allison tried desperately to get people to stand, not realizing we had been instructed not to. The audience finally caved! I'm hoping we can stand and get closer to the stage for Adam!!

Very different mix of people than in Dallas.

TXArc is famous! She has more signs and glow stix. People keep coming up to her and thanking her for the signs!! More later...
MadTex wrote:
LOL! I tried to post my above post 3 hours ago but kept getting kicked off the board.

Anyways, security were assholes, but we did manage to stand for the show near the stage. They started checking tix and kicking people out during IIHY. A little late! They did tell fans they'd arrest Them if they didn't sit down. I saw no one standing on chairs, and I think I would have noticed cuz I had my 5 in heels in, so I had a bird's eye view ofhe crowd! If they don't allow people to rush the stage, then they need to communicate that with their entire staff. The ticket takers said it was allowed when I asked. At one point Monte gave an angry WTF look with hand gestures to security harassing fans. It definitely dampened the experience. But Adam sounded great and the show was still exciting.

Security is turning folks away from the buses. Can't even get close. At.All.

More later. Must drive home.

TXArchitect
TXArchitect wrote:
The delight of having the crowd (finally) get up and dance when spurred on by my signs was quickly overshadowed by my absolute fear for my 14yo daughter's safety when these enraged police started grabbing people and manhandling them ... yanking them from where they were SIMPLY STANDING WATCHING ADAM and forcefully pushing/dragging them from the room. The officer who "worked" the left side of the stage was irrational by ANY definition, ran into my child while making an "arrest" and she almost went over and fell in the crowd. The poor victim was a very nice man who was there with his wife and had been nice enough to hold the other end of the intermission banners I made because he was tall. He had been standing next to me at the stage and the next thing I knew the officer had his hands behind his back and was shoving him out and his wife was crying and asking "why?" and it was surreal as NOTHING HAD BEEN HAPPENING and, until then, I felt comfortable that my DD and I were safe as the fans were very mannerly, then the security streamed in with some kind of "mission" that entailed creating mayhem and I was TERRIFIED my only child would be harmed. And it was all totally manufactured and created BY @WINSTARWORLD who are so unprofessional as to be a real and true THREAT to the health, safety and welfare of the public, and, in my opinion, their EVENT CENTER should be closed until such time as they can provide appropriate training to their staff and hired security so as to preclude any unwarranted and life-threatening incidents such as the one I and my child were subjected to this evening.

Please feel free to republish this as you see fit. I am so upset I can not sleep. I am just watching my daughter sleep and thanking God that she is okay.

eta: and we were NOT inside the ropes, but were to the far left of the front area. Our "top of the line" seats were obstructed to the extent that we could only see Adam if he came within 3 feet of the front edge of the stage, and the jumbotron screens were almost directly above us which made them impossible to view comfortably.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:26 pm 
Media Maven

Thackerville, OK
September 10, 2010

ChileRellano
ChileRelleno wrote:
Back from Winstar and seeing Adam! It was a long summer of waiting, but SO worth it! Their "global event center" is just really a huge banquet room, with moveable chairs set up in rows. Not at all what I was expecting. Not sure I would attend that venue again, unless it was someone I really wanted to see badly. We were sitting on the right side of the stage (as you face the stage) in the 3rd row toward the center aisle. The security by us was extremely lax - no hassles with cameras, and the venue personnel let people come up (tall, amazon people) and stand in the aisle between the sections of chairs. Not at all thrilled about that, as my really good view at my seat (sitting and standing) went to a basically o.k. view (if someone tall in the aisle wasn't blocking it or the crazy lady dancing in the aisle the ENTIRE show wasn't waving her arms in the air the whole time - which, of course, she did). I have no problem with people standing AT THEIR SEATS...but you should stand where you paid for, IMO. If you didn't pay for a more expensive seat, and happened, by the luck of the draw, to not be as close as you wanted - tough. Them's the breaks. Others DID pay for those seats and should be able to see!!!! If it's not a general admission event (which this was NOT), then people should watch from where their seats are (standing or sitting), IMO.

Saw Neil before the show coming out from the curtains backstage and going toward the back of the house. Not sure what that was all about (unless it was about security issues), but he looked unhappy (surprise, surprise). Saw him come back about 10 minutes later.

Re: the show itself - what a voice! (Although to both my friend and I, at times the sound system made him sound like he was singing on helium.) What can I say that hasn't been said 1000 times already - he is even better live than on cd, he puts on an amazing show, etc. etc. And YAY - some of the hair on the shaved side had grown back! I was grateful to look at hair rather than scalp! :) My friend (a casual fan) liked the show - I gave her one of my Adam FYE cds after the show. Listened to it on the drive back, and she kept saying, "He sang this song - I like it!" :) I feel so grateful to have seen Adam so closeup - and during the show, thought to myself that the next time he tours the U.S., it will probably be impossible to get seats that good again. I enjoyed the view. :)

MadTex
MadTex wrote:
This is a drive-by post, but I wanted to add a few things.

ChileRelleno, I'm sorry your view was blocked by fans. I do understand your argument of standing in front of the seats you paid for, and, typically, I would agree. However, my seat was on the right side of the stage, too (designated North on the ticket, or stage left for theater peeps), 5th row. I paid a premium for these seats. My view of the stage was ENTIRELY BLOCKED by the sound and light boards, as those were situated on the stage on stage left. (I have never been to a concert where the boards are actually on the stage. It's very hard to adjust sound and light correctly when you're not positioned in the middle of the audience. It made what was actually a decently sized stage MUCH SMALLER.) From my seat, I couldn't even tell the stairs existed. I could not see Tommy, LP or the dancers on stage left. I paid premium prices for OBSTRUCTED VIEW SEATING. So, I politely asked two staffers if we were allowed to move around, as I could not see the stage. I was told "yes, we expect that" and that walking up to the stage is "always allowed." So, this is what I did during Allison's set. The VIP seated people started complaining to security that they couldn't see, so we were told to sit back down in our seats. Ok, fair enough, I suppose. I asked a guard if he really meant I had to sit. He said, "Yes, or you will be removed." Then Allison starts ragging on the audience for sitting at a concert, not realizing we're not going to risk standing and be kicked out before Adam even hits the stage.

I ended up on stage right for the intermission (which involved a lot of smooth talking to the security guard) because I was supposed to help TXArc hold up her signs. FYE started playing while I was over there, and there was no easy way to get back to my seat and security wasn't making anyone leave, so I stayed. There was no pushing, fighting, or pandemonium of any sort in my area. Until the cops (or whomever) started forcing people out. It was VERY ALARMING, AS NOTHING REMOTELY RISKY WAS HAPPENING FROM FANS. And, the VIP section was standing in front of their seats for Adam, so they're view wasn't blocked. The standing was in a fairly wide space BETWEEN the center VIP area and the stage right PREMIUM seats. We weren't standing in front of anyone else's seats.

I will write a professional letter of complaint to WinStar, primarily because I paid for premium seats but was given obstructed view seats. What transpired afterward was, imo, a result of poor seat layout and lack of communication among event staff as to the venue's "policies."

And, murly, I also read Neil's post as saying WinStar blew the fans' behavior out of proportion, since he commented he only saw people standing. I honestly don't think it was a dig at fans for overreacting. I just think for someone who fancies himself a communicator, he's very difficult to interpret!!

ETA: Forgot to mention I was "driving by" in a STRETCH LIMO!!

austintoo
austintoo wrote:
Hello. Wow that pic of tonight's venue sure looks a lot better than the venue in Thackerville! I told my DD when we entered that it looked a large version of a place you'd hold a bar mitzvah.

I was so sorry for what happened to TxA and her beautiful DD. I knew NOTHING about it til I went back to the room & read twitter on TxA DD's computer. I was shocked. I didn't get to talk to TxA about it til after 1 AM and she was still, understandably, quite upset.

We were lucky in that we were on the other side of the stage. It was a nice surprise to be seated right next to MadTex! She is one of the few people I feel short around.

My seat was a little to the left of MadTex's so our view was a tiny bit better, but YES, these seats should NOT have been sold at a premium. We were relatively close, especially considering the couple thousand people who were behind us, but WAY TOO MUCH ON THE SIDE. Unlike TxA, I could see most of Adam most of the time. BUT when Tommy was in his regular spot on the right towards the back, I could only see the top of his head w/o looking at the big screen. I DID have a very good view of the screen, but I didn't pay to see that!

During Allison's set, Mad moved up to the front of the stage, so DD and I went up there. Mad made room for. : ) There was no barricade and we were literally next to the stage, with our bodies resting against it. We were off to the side though and not standing directly in front of anyone. We stood there for 2 or 3 songs. Security came and advised to go back to our seats right away, and so we did.

Adam's set started sooner than I expected; I think it was just over a half hour after Allison's, which was nice since the whole show didn't start until 9.

I'm too tired right now to write everything, but overall I did have a good time. The sound was a bit off as someone said, I couldn't see Tommy very well (or LP), you had to walk thru MILES of casino to get to the venue and everything I wore every time I went to the casino just REEKED of smoke.

I thought the security situation overall sucked. NO ONE CHECKED OUR BAGS going into the venue. That makes me nervous. And ANYONE could have walked into an elevator at the hotel (it was connected to the casino) and gone upstairs. Not secure AT ALL.

My bff who lives in Austin was there and she and I and my DD went down to the hotel pool about 5 PM. I didn't go swimming, but they did. When we got to the pool (hardly anyone there), we noticed right away that Terrance and Brooke were lounging there. AND THAT WAS WORTH THE PRICE OF ADMISSION. Brooke had on a bikini and Terrance was in swim shorts (and that's all). She left to get some drinks I guess and T was lying on a round bed-like thing next to the pool. He rolled onto his back, arched his back, and put one leg up. And just laid there like that for awhile. It was Greek-god-like I must say. We tried not to look too overtly. Brooke came back and they went into the water. We played it cool (I think).

I was so glad to spend some more time with TxA and get to meet her DD. We shared a room again and it worked out really well.

TXArchitect
TXArchitect wrote:
Now ends my GlamNation Tour trifecta. :( Even with the events at Thackerville, I'm so grateful I had the opportunity to attend three shows. Upon reflection, each show was unique and what I took away from them was varied. It's been an interesting social experiment for me, as I got to witness how much a physical structure affects how one experiences an event (there's a decent amount of social psychology research on how the physicality of a classroom affects students' ability to learn and their knowledge retention. so, it's logical to me that phenomenon would exist in other situations. but this marks the first time I've been able to compare the same event.)

Ironically, the show that I was least anticipatory about was my favorite. . .the Dallas show. I didn't have high hopes for securing a good spot, and I knew the acoustics at The Palladium leave a lot to be desired, so my expectations were pretty low. But, I ended up with the best "seat" there of my three shows, and the sound was very good. The excitement of the crowd resonated throughout the venue, and the reciprocal "infinity" of energy and love from both Adam/the band and the fans was palpable. What was missing at the Dallas show, was my ability to take in the stage performance of the show. I was simply too close to see everything at once. My seat in Milwaukee afforded me the chance to see the show as it was staged, which really is visually spectacular. Milwaukee also had the best acoustics, so Adam's voice sounded very pure and resonant. However, as it was still early in the tour, he was still testing his vocal endurance and working out varied melodies of the songs. So, for me, the songs really came alive at both Dallas and Thackerville, as he had had more time to play with them. Thackerville was my least favorite of the three for aforementioned reasons, but it did allow me to spend some quality time with two amazing fellow MUPpets and their DDs. And, ultimately, Adam put on a helluva show. (and I would be horribly remiss if I didn't mention the lovely MUPpets I spent time with in Milwaukee, as well! It's been wonderfully unexpected getting to meet my virtual friends in person!!)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:00 pm 
Media Maven

Tunica, MS
September 11, 2010

morethanidsrv
morethanidsrv wrote:
The show was great. I really appreciate all the youtubes of the shows, but none do Adam's voice justice. ADAM IS THE REAL DEAL. You MUST hear him live to really appreciate just how otherwordly his voice is. If you haven't seen this show and comtemplating going, do yourself a favor and go. I'm surpised I'm saying this, but I enjoyed the live performances last night more than the ones on the CD. Adam's voice was in perfect form last night. The notes he hit...WOW. Soaked was soooo good and it was never a favorite of mine from the CD. LOVED ROF.

OBSERVATIONS:

The biggest surprise of the night was how much I liked Allision's set. I didn't think she would be there since it was a 21 and up venue and I wasn't looking forward to sitting through her set. Honestly I was blown away, literally by how LOUD her band was and how great she sounded. I thought her very loud band was very good though. I had my hands to my ears except for her acoustic part which was amazing. I will probably buy her CD as a result of what I saw last night. I found it hard to understand a lot of what she was singing. I would advise her to work on enunciation. I didn't bring earplugs which was a huge mistake given how very very loud her set was, at least to me.

Brooke dropped her cane while at the top of the stairs during strut.

I'm not a fan of Sasha and if Adam had to cut one dancer I would say it should be her followed by Taylor. In fact the only dancer up there I would keep if Adam were to ever get a stage full of really good dancers is Terrance. I enjoyed watching him a lot. The others just look too average to me...nothing special. They can go imo.

I won't see Adam's or anyone's next tour unless I fly or they come within 30 minutes to an hour at the most from me. I've gotten to where I hate driving.

Can't wait to read cupcake's thoughts about show.

cupcake
cupcake wrote:
...my first and only :( GNT concert at Tunica last night:

I was SHOCKED at how many guys were in attendance. In the 3 rows around me, the count was 13 guys out of 31 concert attendees. Sitting next to me, I had 4 straight and 2 gay guys. The other 7 guys were there with their wives or girlfriends. The audience was such a mixture of all types and ages of people.

The whole floor and many in the risers really got into the dance party during intermission. The people who have the huge video cameras were filming different groups of dancers and the groups would appear on the three big screens over the stage. (like what they do in breaks at sporting events) This ended up being very entertaining and made the intermission time pass quickly.

Something else that surprised me: Adam's concert comes across as very "rockish". The songs from FYE come across more rock than pop in the live concert setting. Adam's moves that sometimes seem exaggerated on the concert videos don't look that way on the big stage. He certainly knows what he is doing with his body and stage movement. (yes, he does)

No surprise: Adam's voice was all I knew it would be. He is Mr. Consistent in that department. What a gift BB has!
His voice on Soaked was spectacular! SFW and Strut are among the stand out performances. I enjoyed Strut so much more performed live. The audience really sang along to ROF and WWFM. Adam also added some special runs to Aftermath. That song continues to evolve and is fast becoming one of my favorites.

Adam looks so much taller than 6'1" up on stage. He has such broad shoulders and a really nice ass!
With all the talk about the dancers, I was surprised at how little I even noticed them. Adam REALLY IS all you look at. I have to admit I kind of thought the "bigger than life on the stage" descriptions were exaggerated in some of the past concert recaps. They were right- Adam commands the stage! Did I mention what a nice ass he has? :)

BTW, I'd take a preteen, tween or even an elementary aged child to a GNT concert in a heartbeat. I'd have to give last night's concert a PG rating. I recently attended the Lady Gaga concert and I'd have to give it a VERY STRONG R rating. GNT was Disney on Ice compared to The Monster Ball.

ETA: I just reread my post and realize how fangirly I sound. What has happened to me?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:09 pm 
Media Maven

Atlanta, GA
September 14, 2010

nomee
nomee wrote:
The concert last night? It was a'ight.

:p

Atlanta, home of the EPIC Soaked.

I held my breath during the acapella portion. When he finished and no one had screamed during? Major sigh of relief and then a little flailing. It was so awesome.

The glittery boys from the balcony:
I think they're minor celebrities now. Haha!

More pictures here! They turned out better than I thought they would, considering I was on the balcony. I liked the view from there, however. Personally, I like to try to see the whole visual experience, and from what I understand, the sound was better.

After I got to my seat, I struck a conversation with the people next to me. Turns out I was sitting next to our very own poohch! How great was that? We got to squee together several times. :)

Great show, great experience, that singer dude's not too shabby either. ;)

*swoon*

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:11 pm 
Media Maven

Atlanta, GA
September 14, 2010

mallow767

mallow767 wrote:
Here is my recap from the first of my two Atlanta shows.

First off, I stayed near Atlanta with a very generous couple who are big Adam fans. They had also invited others to stay in their beautiful home including another couple (the husband was also a big fan!). Such beautiful, generous people. I enjoyed getting to know them very much. So anyway we met some other fans (total 22, I think) at a restaurant near the venue and after a nice dinner we walked to the venue.

This show was sold out and I saw a very diverse crowd. (BTW the merchandise table was mobbed and I didn't even attempt to get near it. Makes me happy to see it though.) I read the review from Rodney Ho and he must have seen what he wanted to see because I saw lots of young people, straight and not, mixed with the 30's through 60's crowd. My seat was next to last row (my other two concerts I was much closer) but I thought that being near the back would give me a different perspective and I would be able to take in the "width" of the whole show, but honestly when Adam appeared at the top of those stairs it was like I had blinkers on!! HAHAHA! The people around me were cute. The two girls beside me loved him during Idol and were excited. They had not been to a show before so I made a point to get their reactions later. (They loved him of course!) Also an older lesbian couple sat behind me with a big group of their friends -- they were so excited -- they called Adam their "boyfriend" and were a little rowdy!! There was a group of beautiful boys a couple of rows in front of me. I saw lots of men and I was surprised by that, but loved seeing it!!

Two friends who were staying at the house with me were in the front row and loved the show but were disappointed that Adam didn't hang on left side where they were as much as the right side! I didn't feel too sorry for them as they had a M&G the next day!!

Adam sang beautifully as you know and the crowd was so quiet during Soaked. It was a beautiful moment. My only other comment is I wish his voice had been more front and center as it seemed I couldn't hear him as well as I would have liked. Not a fan of Allison's voice but she looked beautiful and I wish her well. The Idol fans beside me left after her second song and didn't come back until time for Adam. But the crowd was very nice to her and gave her lots of love, me included.

We did not go to the buses after the concert but observed a crowd gathering as we drove by. I'll recap the second concert later today.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:53 pm 
World Domination

Rockford, IL
September 4, 2010

So once again, I am writing my concert recap nearly 2 weeks after the event! For some reason my real life tries to get in the way. I mostly write these for myself to help me remember the event later – I really wish I had done this for Fantasy Springs – but it may be a little dull and tl;dr for everyone else!

Once again, my husband and 11 year old son accompanied me to the concert. (They will be referred to as DH and DS11 – this is a hold over from another board, but is easiest for me.) This time, it was completely their choice. I had bought the tickets before we even went to the concert in Milwaukee, but told both of them that it was totally up to them if they wanted to attend the concert in Rockford – I was certain that I could find others to go with me or could sell the extra tickets. Both of them chose to attend. I wasn’t that surprised about DS11 since he is a fan – not an OTT fan, but he enjoys the music, is occasionally interested in the latest news and gets a kick out of hearing WWFM or IIHY on the radio. DH has been “griping” about my reverting to a 13 year old over the last year and a half; however, he was a total sweetheart and went to Fantasy Spring with me as part of our grown-ups only getaway last February. Since he had already been to 2 concerts, I didn’t really think he would be coming to Rockford – particularly since it was on a Saturday when he could be happily gardening or working on the retaining wall he is building. (In our climate, those summer weekends are golden as the bad weather will be here all too soon.)

It turned out that Saturday Sept 4th was unseasonably cool – I’m not sure the high ever made it out of the 60’s and it was forecast to be in the low 50’s by the end of the concert. This weather combined with going early to visit the festival definitely impacted my glam-factor! I have a rather cool black, suede blazer which I word over a long-sleeve blue T and jeans. Since I have extremely flat feet and am very limited with shoes, I wore black crocs (Sorry – about as un-glam as you can get, but being able to stand is a little more important!) My only real concession to glam was a blue hair thingy I bought the day before to clip into my hair. I have longish, blondish hair and the blue stripe looked pretty cool to me – neither DS11 or DH even noticed it! We brought coats and jackets with us and 6 blue glowsticks (all I could find).

This concert was a very different experience from the Milwaukee concert (and Fantasy Springs). The Rockford concert was held at the On The Waterfront festival in downtown Rockford. Rockford is a small city in Illinois (“small” relative to Chicago – I think it is the 2nd largest city in Illinois. It also has the highest unemployment rate of any city in Illinois. Downtown Rockford is very depressed and many of the buildings are vacant. I assume that the festival is an attempt to draw attention and business to the downtown.

The online festival information looked like there were a few things that DS11 might enjoy, so we got to Rockford a little before 4pm to give us some time to wander around. The drive there was only about 1 hour 20 minutes. We lucked out completely with parking and found a street spot at no cost only a couple blocks from the concert venue. As we walked toward the festival and venue, we could hear the sound check. DS11 was the first to notice – he suddenly shouts “Mom, I hear Adam!” It was Soaked and it sounded fantastic. There are a few “entrances” to the festival area where you need to go to get in (the other streets are barricaded with people there to send you around to the entrance.) As buildings came between us and the venue, we couldn’t hear it anymore. Once we were in the festival area, we decided to first make sure we knew exactly where to go later so we walked over to the main stage area and found the entrance. Sound check was just ending, but we heard a little more singing – Yay! I heard TCB as we were entering the festival and we heard the end of MW when we were scoping the area out.

We were hoping to find a basic restaurant to have dinner before the show and maybe meet up with a few other fans. Turns out that downtown Rockford is so depressed that a RolyPoly sandwich shop was the ONLY food other than the festival offerings. The festival was OK – but there are several other good festivals closer to home so I don’t think we would bother with it again other than for someone we truly wanted to see. Since we were unable to have our relaxing sit-down dinner, we had run out of stuff to do by 6:30pm so we decided to just head over to the main stage and relax before the show. Ali was scheduled to start at 8:30pm and Adam at 10pm, so we had plenty of time to kill.

We had wonderful seats – not super close, but not too far either. Someone tweeted a pic of the venue and I’ve marked where we were. We were in the front row of the second section so our seats were on the aisle. This was good for my son who is a little short (I’m not so tall either – 5’3”!) and often feels a little claustrophobic in crowds. It also was nice for being able to get up and walk around during our wait since we didn’t have to bother other people to get in/out of our row. We were also dead center. After Fantasy Spring DH and I had both said that it was much more important to us to be center with good sound than to be close. For both Milwaukee and Rockford, we were able to get tickets nearly exactly in the center and the sound was fantastic.

Seated in the row behind us were two ladies from Peru. One was totally glammed up with a hat and flag. When some other folks asked to take her photo, I joined in (I was a little shy about asking for myself…). Later, we gave them glowsticks which they seemed to enjoy. They were clearly uncomfortable with chatting in English, so I do not know if they were going to multiple shows or why they had ended up at Rockford of all places.

DS11 and I decided to check out the merchandise right away since we figured the line would only get longer. The line was already pretty long when we went to get into it, but someone from the venue told us that there was a second merch-tent over in the lawn seat area. DS11 and I decided it was definitely worth the short walk to go check it out. Turns out the guy was right! Although people were starting to arrive for lawn seats – those who were there at 6:30 were the serious fans who hadn’t been able to get reserved seats (they sold out in minutes). They were busy holding their front spots – so the merch-tent only had a few people there. I bought a second T-shirt (I had bought 1 at Milwaukee) – this time the one with the “A” on it. DS11 gave me wistful puppy dog eyes and ended up with an electronic glowstick with “Adam Lambert” written on it. He is still playing with it and planning to bring it on our next Disney vacation, so it might have even been worth the $10.

We did manage to meet a few online friends which was nice – I wish we had more time to visit. The lack of a restaurant or any other “good’ place to meet made this harder. The time passed relatively quickly. As it began to get dark, the temperature started dropping. I was surprised at how many people did not dress for the weather or bring a jacket or sweater with them. The teens were particularly underdressed for the cold –but very, very glam! I was shocked by the amount of smoking in the crowd – I guess I would expect people to move out of the seats and to the side at least, but many, many people were smoking like chimneys in their seats. We were lucky and there were only a few near us and it wasn’t too bad. At least in our area, there were far more children at this show than in Milwaukee. At Milwaukee, we saw a couple other kids around DS11’s age and 1 smaller kid with headphone ear protection. At this show, there were 2 other SMALL children (maybe 4-6) right by us. Not sure what the parents were thinking as neither child had ear plugs. Both youngsters were obviously VERY into Adam and were pretty cute (this is an unusual statement from me as I am not a kid person at all and rarely think they are cute!) DS11 had new earplugs for this concert (Etymotic BabyBlues) which worked well for him. I also had a pair which I used during Ali’s set but took out for Adam.

Alison put a lot of energy into her set and a lot of audience stood for her, but her voice seemed much rougher than it had back in Milwaukee and a lot of her songs just seemed shouted. It was OK, but I wouldn’t be likely to make an effort to go see her again. I was happy not to have to wait through Orianthi’s set this time, but the “dance party” never really took off in Rockford. There were small patches of dancers, but the cold definitely had an impact. Most people were standing with their arms wrapped around themselves and huddled near their friends. I got the impression people were enjoying the music, but were just too cold to bother to dance along.

When Adam came on there was tons of screaming and jumping up and down and arm waving. The crowd was definitely into the show. I think the screams dissipate a bit with the outdoor venue which may be why those watching online seemed to think it was a sedate crowd. Yes, this is the heart of the Midwest (maybe even blue-collar Midwest) and nothing particularly crazy happened, but it wasn’t that the audience wasn’t excited and into the show. It was just a combination of Midwestern reserve and really, really cold weather!

Adam’s voice was as amazing as always – near the end, I think the cold was starting to affect him. Cold air is NOT what a singer wants and it may have been affecting his voice a little in IIHY and the encore. DH & I were even wondering if there would BE an encore given the conditions (Adam did not take his jacket off and even the band members were starting to look cold!) but after a longish wait and some chanting, they came back and performed Mad World. I was a little disappointed to not hear TCB live, but totally understood his decision.

Before the show, they tested the lasers and I really thought they were there in the first song or two, but I’m sure they weren’t there later. Don’t know if it was FAA regulations or if there was a problem with them (maybe the laser machine doesn’t like the cold?) They also did not do the projections on the back screen. I barely noticed them at Milwaukee and I didn’t exactly miss them at Rockford, but it just felt like something was missing at times.

There isn’t much point going over each song - the vids are out there. Adam was fabulous and I once again smiled so much that my face hurt by the end! I don’t understand what it is about Adam’s music/voice that makes me so happy. Listening to him sing on a CD or the iPod or that radio makes me happy and listening to him live just magnifies that by a hundred.

Of the 3 concerts I’ve seen, Fantasy Springs is still my favorite. It felt more intimate - more like Adam had just walked out there with the band and was making it all up as he went along (well, actually, WLL was exactly that). I have thoroughly enjoyed both GlamNation shows, but there was something special about Fantasy Springs. Of the two GlamNation shows, I think I enjoyed Milwaukee a little more - although it was nice to not be exhausted before the show even started in Rockford! I prefer being too warm to too cold and I loved the ambience of the old theater.

DH also said he liked Fantasy Springs best - although he thought the production work there was pretty bad (he didn’t blame them - 1st show, not really a set show yet, venue they’d never seen before, etc.) but he agreed with me about the feel of the show. He felt that the show was much “tighter” at Rockford than Milwaukee which is expected after a couple months of practice! He felt that Adam’s vocals were spectacular at all 3 shows which impresses him (we both sing in an oratorio choir - he is a tenor). He was shocked that Adam did the encore given the weather conditions.

DS11 can’t make up his mind which show he liked better. Milwaukee was able to have the full laser show which he loved and the screen in back. Rockford was less claustrophobic and he could see a little better. His favorite songs at both shows were Voodoo (his favorite song - not just of Adam’s music - his favorite song ever) and Strut. He particularly likes the dancing.

I’m a little bummed that I didn’t get to experience a wild & crazy GlamNation show. I would have liked to have been at one with the dance party during the intermission. I think we could have had one at Milwaukee, but they hadn’t started yet as that was way back in June. I also wish that I could just once have up close seats and see Adam that close. Maybe next tour I will feel like I can afford to pay StubHub inflated prices to be in one of those front row seats. Of course, I’ll probably have to leave DH and DS11 behind if I do that - the odds of getting 3 together is pretty low (and pricey!).

If you stuck with me through all my rambling - thank you! I’m sad that I won’t be going to another GlamNation concert this summer, but I am also thrilled that I was able to go to the concerts that I did. Back in 1963, my mother was at college in Exeter, England - she was invited to go see a band called The Beatles and declined in order to study for a test. Although she never has seemed bothered by this story, I have always told myself that I would hate to have missed an opportunity like that. I feel like by having seen Adam at his first solo concert (Fantasy Springs) and twice during his first headlining tour, I have NOT missed my opportunity.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:57 am 
Media Maven

Melbourne, FL
September 17, 2010

BocaBabe
Boca Babe wrote:
Here I am, posting from getoverit's computer in the hotel room...

Not sure how to start, except to say it was just so, so amazing to finally see a GNT show in person. As everyone has said, BB's voice live is just not to be believed (and if there was serious complaint about that little lyric fail in "Sleepwalker" - um, excuse me, your trollishness/butthurt/haterade (take your pick) is showing. But more on the show in a bit.

First was, of course, the M&G! I'm happy to say our pre-M&G experience was a great deal less uncomfortable and unpleasant than Buder's. getoverit and I had tickets to a pre-show gathering at the venue, and were therefore able to get out of the heat relatively quickly. Shortly after arriving, we saw Neil poke his head in, but - like a startled rabbit - he quickly ducked back out.

For the M&G, we were told to be at the venue by 5:45 for checkin, and the M&G would start at 6. Well, I'm sure you can imagine how that went. Around 6:15, there was an announcement at the preshow party for anyone attending the M&G to go out into the hallway to get checked in. Neil was serving as the fan wrangler last evening, and was perfectly pleasant. He told us that - surprise! - Adam was running late due to doing some radio interviews, and that after being checked in, we were free to go and should regather at 6::45. After giving some general instructions, he reiterated Adam's "no gifts" request, saying that they were about to head overseas and wouldn't be able to bring them, and that if any gifts we brought for Adam could be signed by him and instead made gifts to ourselves, that would be the better course of action. He also made more specific requests - namely, do not kiss Adam. Do not grope Adam. Apparently those things happened at previous M&Gs. Stay Klassy, fans. Anyway, after making his announcements, he told us that after he checked our IDs and gave us our laminate passes, we were free to go and should regather at the same spot at 6:45. He checked my ID and gave me my laminate, then told getoverit that he "trusted her" and didn't even look at hers! In a way it was funny, but in another way...WTF? Did he forget how he had to get rid of crashers from a previous M&G? Anyway...

Ultimately, we got into the M&G room around 7pm. After being given the rundown on the procedure, Neil said something to the effect that they were "over the prior day's 'incident' in South Beach, they'd spent all day talking about it, and we should refrain from bringing it up. That was the only reference to Paparazzigate the whole night. Although previous instructions were that we could only have one item signed, we were told that we could have two signed (wish I'd known beforehand, as I'd have brought my UK FYE CD cover, but such is life). I grabbed the souvenir poster as my second item.

...and then Adam walked in. As Buder said, he looks both smaller and younger in person, and was dressed in his usual M&G "uniform" of t-shirt and jeans. But as "Annie" tells us, you're never fully dressed without a smile, and BB's was very much in evidence. Maybe it's a show smile, but it's there, and the warmth of his demeanor makes the smile even better. We all lined up, with getoveritseond in line, and me right behind her. When getoverit had her turn, I couldn't help but think they looked as if they were getting along famously. :-) However, soon enough it was my turn.

I'd worked out what I was going to say, but it was immediately blown out of the water after I walked up to him and shook his hand. He smiled and said, "I heard it's your birthday," and handed me a white envelope - clearly a card - with my name written on it. With an exclamation point after it. IN HIS HANDWRITING! If you remember the photo collage that getoverit posted here that she was going to get signed...well, she got some greeting cards made of it, blank inside. During her turn with Adam, she'd told him the girl behind her was celebrating her birthday (a slight bit of artistic license there, but if Rolling Stone can fudge things a bit, so can getoverit!), and would he mind signing a card. Which he did! Inside the card, he wrote "Happy birthday, Sharon! Love, Adam Lambert". And he licked the envelope to seal it! I have Adam's DNA, y'all! {insert evil mastermind cackle here}. What a fantastic keepsake!

After that, I'm afraid the rest of the M&G is a blur, which is exactly what I was afraid would happen. I told him something to the effect that although I'm old enough to be his mother, he's the kind of person I want to be when I grow up - that I thought he was an extraordinary person. That got his patented, "Aww, thanks" response. :-) I also said something about being so happy that he'd added these FL shows, as I'd been afraid the St. Pete show was going to be "it". He assured me that FL had always been in the plans. He then said something like "I hope you enjoy the show!" and I said I knew I would, and that I'd be at the Hard Rock show as well. He replied, "Great, and Happy Birthday!" And there you have it.

Oh, and there was a concert, too. :-) I have purposely not watched videos on a regular basis, as I didn't want the show to feel overly familiar to me whenI fianlly saw it in person, so I'm not really able to do much of a comparison with other shows. All I can say is that I enjoyed every minute of it, and that included Allison's set. I thought she was in great voice, and the audience was genuinely enthusiastic. I was pleased for her.

During the dance party between sets, there was a bit of a stir in the audience. The most amazing Adam lookalike I've ever seen was in one of the front row, and was attracting attention like crazy. People were falling all over themselves to get their photos taken with him. He was smiling, and dancing, and was just incredible. He left before Adam's set, so I don't know if he was a professional lookalike brought in by the venue or what, but it was awesome.

Then there was Adam. I need to wrap this up, as we have to head out, but there isn't much I can say that hasn't been said before. One thing I'll say was that if, as that techie article said, the lasers were Adam's idea, he deserves all the credit in the world for making that show look fantastic. Our seats were an ideal mixture of being close enough to see the stage well, and far enough back to get the full effect of the lasers. It looked absolutely fantastic and expensive. The new drummer, Isaac, did a great job and continues the tradition of the shirtless GNT drumming. I didn't notice any extra enthusiasm for Taylor during his intro, FWIW. Anyway, Adam's voice is just incomparable, and I can't wait to hear it again tomorrow night.

Sorry this is so long!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:52 am 
Media Maven

Melbourne, FL
September 17, 2010

getoverit

getoverit wrote:
Melbourne Meet & Greet saga. 9/17/10

A good omen – as I start to try to write what I remember of the Melbourne M&G, IIHY just came on the radio! So I am now definitely in the mood.

A preface: This is terribly long, sorry. Boca Babe already posted a much more concise description. I'm afraid I'm more wordy. Scrolling is allowed. I apologize also for interrupting a bunch of other discussions, but I just want to post my M&G story before it fades....

Arrival: Where to start? Seemed like Boca Babe and I were running late to get to the theater – we had just arrived at the hotel around 3:30 and it’s my fault to be totally slow at getting my makeup on, and then of course we got a little lost finding exactly where the theater was – and then the public parking was way the hell at the other end of the lot. So a long walk to entrance, only to be told that the M&G and Flambert (Florida Glambert group) pre-party was ‘around on the other side.’ Actually, it wasn’t that far, but naturally we are panicking at being late and afraid of missing the check in. Ha! Nothing to worry about there! We’d been told to arrive at M&G by 5:45, and the Flambert check-in was at 5:30 and we wanted to at least get registered for the pre-party even if we couldn’t stay. We arrived right at 5:30 at the door, which was … locked, and where several made-up, dressed-up ladies (and gents) were waiting in the heat. This was a side entrance to a medium-sized lobby area, not part of the theater main entrance and where both the M&G and the Flambert pre-party were taking place. Why is it they make us wait outside in heat, when there is a big empty A/C’d lobby area on the other side of the door? Anyway, the guy at the door said the M&G entry would actually be at 6:30, but pre-party at 5:30. This is where Boca Babe and I really lucked out! Imagine if we’d had to wait outside another hour!? Or if the two events had been at different places? Instead we did the Flambert check-in as soon as that started and went around to the private room where it was being held. There awaited a cash bar, snack buffet (Boca & I had eaten dinner and were too excited to eat more!), a raffle table and some nice people, some with the strangest OTT outfits I believe I’ve ever seen. We ended up sitting at a table with 4 couples that were fun to talk to. The cutest thing to me was that it was the husbands who were most talkative and bragging about their wives’ Adam adventures. (One had had plenty – I believe it was her 17th concert??!) Oh, at one point Neil came to the door, took one look, and turned and made a quick exit. Can’t say I blame him!

M&G Check-In Phase I: At 6:15 Boca and I went back out to check on M&G status. Again, so lucky for us that this was all in the same area. By this time there was a line-up of people who’d already gotten their lanyards with passes. We found out Neil was looking for the strays, then suddenly there he was with his fistful of lanyards. So we reported in, he had a clipboard with our names and needed to see photo IDs. I was having a hard time finding my ID in the bottom of my bag, and he floored me when he handed me a lanyard and said, “I trust you.” ??? My face isn’t that honest! Boca and I were both sort of “are you kidding? don’t trust anybody! Don’t you realize how many people want to crash this thing??!” So I made him look at my ID.

At this point we got a little instruction from Neil, to begin with – surprise, surprise – Adam is running late. Because they had been doing radio interviews all day. We were to hang around in the area and report back at 6:45. So, Boca & I returned to the Flambert party where our table of couples was surprised to see us, thinking we’d already finished the M&G (and wondered why we were so calm about it!) It was so nice we had a place to go and sit down and distract ourselves whereas the other M&Gers had to STAND around out in the lobby.

M&G Phase II: At 6:42 back we went back just to wait a little longer. Neil returned pretty soon for herding us into a room next door where the actual M&G would be.

A word about Neil. Yeah, he belongs to his NegativeNeil name, but I kind of liked him. Personally, I can relate to his cynical businesslike attitude, but you could also detect a dry sense of humor, like the way he delivered a talk about not groping, kissing, or grabbing at Adam – that such things HAD happened. Not cool. He said they had been answering media questions all day about the South Beach incident from Thursday and we should NOT bring it up – they’d had enough of that subject! Asked that we please not give Adam gifts because they are packing up the bus to go overseas and there’s just no room. Stuff was just going to go into storage, and (as always) it was better to give to charity. But that we could have two things autographed, not just one. This was great news for me, which I’ll explain in a minute. All in all, I thought he was reasonable. He said yes, we COULD take photos on our own, just no flashes when he was using his flash. He’s a low-key kinda guy, and considering he was in charge of 2 dozen excited giddy M&Gers, I felt he did a good job and had right demeanor for keeping us calm and organized. He seemed quite approachable and willing to answer our questions. Some people asked him about his camera, for ex. So thumbs up for Neil from me.

M&G Phase II continued: So now we’re in a side room with chairs, and there’s a black curtain to be the backdrop for Adam. Neil is sitting in a chair in front of the photo-op spot fiddling with his camera since he’s the official crowd herder AND photographer. We were told to line up and everyone seemed to suddenly get really shy. (Just like Buder said at her M&G). Well, I didn’t want to be #1, but I also knew I wanted to be among the first – the longer I waited the more nervous I would get, and my thought was that maybe going early I could catch him before it got to be really repetitive and old for him. So I was #2 and Boca #3 (again part of my plan about to be explained). And then, suddenly Adam was just there! As always, he was very casually dressed, in flip flops, dull green T-Shirt, jeans, and a narrow-brimmed hat.

Here we go!
In a flash #1 is finished, and the ‘handlers’ are telling me to go! And off I go – walk right up and here’s kinda how it goes, probably not precisely in this order, but close to it. I have to paraphrase some because I was pretty much overwhelmed. Adam’s words in blue, mine in green and vague memories not colored.
First thing I notice as I walk up close – heavy pancake makeup – prep for his full-blown stage makeup. Only other makeup is the basic eyeliner. And big, big welcoming smile!
Adam: Gives me a beautiful smile, “Hi!” and shakes my hand.
Me: Hi! I’m sure I didn’t introduce myself. At this point I probably babbled something about being so excited to be there.
About now he notices my leather jacket made in Turkey. It is a beautiful brown, soft leather, and made of leaf-shaped cutouts all stitched over a thin base. Very unusual and totally classy. I always get compliments on it, which is exactly why I wore it.
Adam says something like, Wow! I like your jacket!
Me: Thank you! (duh!) But thinks: WIN! Yay!
Also early on, he notices my finger nail polish, I guess as I’m fumbling with my clipboard to give him the photo collage that I’d put together for his autograph.
Adam: Hey! Our green polish matches! Almost!
And he holds his fingers next to mine to compare – and sure enough, our polish is very similar, a dark teal, except mine is shinier than his.
Me: Yeah! (DUH!) I hope I said, a little more, like “I like it!” But I don’t even know. And I kicked myself afterwards for not telling him the name of it: OPI’s “Cuckoo for this Color”!! But again, I’m thinking – WOW, he noticed my nails! He held his fingers next to mine!!
So by now he has my photo, and seemed to sort of hesitate about where to sign. I meant for him to sign the white mat I’d put on it, but he’s aiming for the photo itself, and I got completely tongue-tied and couldn’t redirect him to the mat. So, on the photo it was.

While he’s signing, I am rushing to make my spiel. First the Background - it was Boca’s birthday last week and this weekend for her was her birthday celebration for herself. I wanted to do a little something for her birthday and at first was going to just give her a card from me, but then I got this idea. So:
Me: I wonder if you’d do me a favor!? The girl right behind me is celebrating her birthday and I wondered if you’d sign a card for her?
And I gave him one of the blank greeting cards I’d had made of the same photo collage.
Me: continues If you could sign it “Happy Birthday [Boca], from Adam”? and then give it to her when she comes up?
I’m moving around to shield what we are doing so Boca won’t see. I’m sure Neil is wondering WTF is this woman doing!?
Adam: Oh okay, cool. Which one is she? The next one in line?
Me: Yeah, the girl in silver and black “tights.
Adam starts signing, and is saying something like "This is great, I like this!”
Me to myself: OMG! He likes the idea and thinks it’s fun! I am pretty much beside myself with pleasure that he and I are in a little conspiracy, sharing a joke! This was probably THE highlight of the whole thing for me!
Adam not only signs the card (when I’d been afraid he wouldn’t want to at all) but also goes further - puts the card into the envelope himself, writes “[Boca]” on it, and … OMG! Sticks his tongue out and licks the envelope and seals it! Tongue! Bonus! Win! I never expected he’d go along with it with such enthusiasm! I am watching all this, dumbfounded.
Okay, it isn’t over, I’m not to be stopped. I rush on:
Me: Oh, there are so many things I’d like to say. I’d just like to talk to you all day.
Adam looking at me sort of like, wow, now what? (I hope he didn’t think that, but …)
Me continuing: But there’s no time, but I would at least like to say one thing, that I’m so excited how your tour has turned out…
Adam: (looks delighted) Yeah! Isn’t it great?!
Me: … and you know back before it started we were all wondering what it would be like, what songs you’d sing, if it would be a success, and just look at how successful it is!
Adam: I know!
Me: I’m just so happy for you, and happy for us, and (don’t remember what I said next, but continued to babble…meant to say something like “I’ve had so much fun!”
Neil: Okay, let’s get this photo done!
(probably thinking, man, this woman isn’t going to leave!) I’m probably lucky he didn’t haul me off by force by this time. So we turn and face Neil and I’m SO not posed. Trying to tell myself to get a decent photo face on, but brain can’t seem to connect. I always take awful photos anyway, and a part of my brain is thinking that I will probably look like a crazed wild woman! Adam had his arm around me. [after the photo was posted, it wasn't so bad, but my hair is hanging in front of one eye!]

So now time is running out, and I turn to face Adam and say “I want a hug!” Ahhh! We wrap our arms around each other and I get a big hug. I remember patting his back. And at the “peak” of the squeeze I say to him “I love you!” Okay, this was not a romantic, inappropriate “I love you,” but a motherly “I love you, sweetie” one.
I’m starting to walk away and my mouth starts in again:
Me: Oh, and just because this theater is so nice…
Adam: (brightens) I LOVE this theater!
Me: … please don’t let it slow you down for the show tonight, we want wild!
Adam: Oh, I like a theater like this better than a club!
By now I have walked too far away to turn around and go back, but WTF??? He prefers a nice theater to a club? Where did that come from? I’ve gotten the impression he is more inspired and fun in a club setting. I need to know more for the sake of all his fans! But it’s too late! I’ve already taken more time than I ever expected, gotten to do more and say more than I’d dreamed. If I turned and said, hey, tell me more, I think they would have truly bodily dragged me out.
And…that was my M&G! Wonderful!

What I forgot: I forgot to check out his cologne during the hug. Bummer. I forgot to look at how much his hair has grown back on the shaved side, but it was pretty much covered by his hat anyway. I wish I’d looked into his eyes more. …

Aftermath. I hung around to watch Boca and see her look of utter amazement when he greets her with “I hear it’s your birthday!” and hands her the card with her name on it! (Her jaw dropped.) I’m happy to say she got something really special from him, not just the routine autographs, but a birthday card written out by him and WITH his DNA on the envelope flap! I know I got as much pleasure out of the whole thing as she did! However, I apologize to Boca because the shock just about completely broke her concentration for her own moment with him! But I did get a hug from her right after. We went out to the lobby area and chatted with another lady in M&G group. She wanted to know what in the world I’d been talking to him about for so long (She said she’d been rushed off much faster). I realize I probably did get more than my share of time! We explained to her about the card. We then wandered back into the Flambert party to get ourselves a go-cup from the bar. And that’s pretty much it…we went over to the concert main entrance, stopping to tell our friends from the Flambert table about the M&G. Perfect timing, got to our seats just as Allison was starting her set.

BocaBabe adds:
Boca Babe wrote:
getoverit wrote:
Aftermath. I hung around to watch Boca and see her look of utter amazement when he greets her with “I hear it’s your birthday!” and hands her the card with her name on it! (Her jaw dropped.) I’m happy to say she got something really special from him, not just the routine autographs, but a birthday card written out by him and WITH his DNA on the envelope flap! I know I got as much pleasure out of the whole thing as she did! However, I apologize to Boca because the shock just about completely broke her concentration for her own moment with him! But I did get a hug from her right after. We went out to the lobby area and chatted with another lady in M&G group. She wanted to know what in the world I’d been talking to him about for so long (She said she’d been rushed off much faster). I realize I probably did get more than my share of time! We explained to her about the card. We then wandered back into the Flambert party to get ourselves a go-cup from the bar. And that’s pretty much it…we went over to the concert main entrance, stopping to tell our friends from the Flambert table about the M&G. Perfect timing, got to our seats just as Allison was starting her set.

"Apologize"? What is this "apologize" of which you speak? LOL! What you did was so awesome, and I appreciate it SO much. It's my own fault that my pea brain pretty much shut down from that point onward. I've literally lost count of how often I've stared at that card today.

BTW, the photo of you and Adam turned out incredibly well! I've made mine into my fan club avatar, but there's a problem - when the photo was resized, Adam was partially cut out of the damn thing! Now I have to figure out how to fix it.

Sigh.

BTW, I've edited my original post to get rid of the most egregious typos and errors. It was written in a hurry, on the fly, and it showed.

I wanted to add that while I acknowledge and understand that "entitlement is not sexy," I was a bit disappointed that we only got "Mad World" for the encore. I don't blame Adam, as I'm sure he had a very difficult, frustrating day (although if so, you'd never have known it by his demeanor during the M&G) - but I do hope that he comes through with TCB for the 5,500 of us tomorrow night at the Hard Rock!

getoverit adds:
getoverit wrote:
Boca, your photo is great! You need to duplicate the photo and crop it to a tighter fit, then post it. I can do it and forward to you if you don't know how.
And why didn't you brush my hair out of my eyes before I talked to him????

I may come back later and add some thoughts about the actual Melbourne show - but am fading fast, and have another show tomorrow night - my last GNT!! (sob)

In the meantime here are quickie observations:
Lasers were incredible seen from the back. Yes
Uncouth Floridians shouting during Soaked. No
BB's voice still unparalleled. Yes
Adam lookalike in audience, great fun, made intermission pass faster. Yes
Dead dull non-dancing, non vocal audience members in my row. NO

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:08 pm 
Media Maven

Melbourne, FL
September 17, 2010

msunshine
msunshne wrote:
Melbourne Musings (in no particular order):

Adam is beautiful.
Adam's voice is beautiful.
Ali had eyelash trouble throughout her set. Very funny. First song she had 2, second song she had one, by third song she yanked it off and had none.
Look alike Adam was in row in front of me. He was adorable. More AI Adam than now Adam. The crowd loved him. He loved Adam.
Security was stopping people filming before Adam's set but once the lights went down they didn't bother.
Had seventh row seats Monte side. My angle made it that I could hardly see Tommy or Isaac through Adam. It's OK. Couldn't take my eyes off Adam.
Adam is beautiful.
Saw lady with eyes tattooed on her back.
Sat next to girl who has seen Adam 18 times.
Couldn't tell if new Fever opening was something they are trying or out of necessity because of glitches.
Adam is beautiful.
Long break before Music Again. Drum tech at Isaac's kit a long time.
The giggle at Cam's intro was cute. He said something about only being able to think her in a mustache. She then put her finger to her lip.
Tommy was last one off the stage after IIHY and the first one out for MW. Then last one off again.
Never even noticed mess up in Sleepwalker. Hahahaha.
Not disappointed in the slightest about Mad World. He could sing best of the Wiggles and I would love it.
Adam is beautiful.

One down, one to go.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:40 pm 
We're gonna throw glitter on this barn tonight!!!

Adam Lambert @ Puyallup Fair 9-21-10 (A None Too Short Novella - the scroll button is your friend)

What a whirlwind event! I decide rather last minute (for me, the uber planner) to make the trip when a ticket offer lands unexpectedly in my AWOP inbox Sunday morning. Going to this concert provides a real paradox for me. On the one hand, I would be seeing AFL! On the other hand, I am a little skeered of being disappointed. After seeing him in Portland last July, I think there is no way he could ever live up to what I deem “The Best Concert Event Of My Life!” I ruminate on the idea for six hours and fianlly call my generous benefactor on the phone. It is decided that the ticket will be Overnighted by FedEx first thing Monday morning, and yes, it will make it to me in time to leave my house Tuesday afternoon. Now the challenge is ON. I must find a place for the kid to go because Mr P will be out of town. A pet caretaker will need to be employed and a prior engagement canceled. Most importantly, a suitable OUTFIT needs to be obtained!

Tuesday comes very quickly. I manage to hit my desired departure time. Less than a mile away from home I check the speedometer in front of the neighborhood grade school. I don’t want a ticket to start the day. 85MPH!!! What the heck? It remains there even as I am gassing up the vehicle. Hmmm, what to do? I have been expressly forbidden to take the other “crap” car so far from home. “It just isn’t reliable,” says Mr P. Okay, fine. HE can pay the speeding tickets! For the first 80 miles the speedo is buried! What an exhilarating Autobahn experience.... only, not. After stopping at the rest area the speedometer is now registering only 40 miles above the actual speed. All righty, I can at least do the math on that one and have some idea of my speed.

Three plus hours later I enter my hotel room without any further complications. (Just the infamous Sea/Tac traffic.) I figure I will just throw on my rather subdued glam clothes and head out the door. Oh look! Here’s some **glitter** in my makeup case. Well... okay. Just a little won’t hurt around the eyes. I better dust some on my arms and chest for good measure as well. Now I just have to slink out through the hotel lobby without attracting too much attention. I don the bug-eyed sunglasses and stride out with a purpose. Don't anybody even THINK about messing with this Glittermama!

Ah, the safety zone of my Suburban. Let’s just have a peek at the directions the hotel has so kindly provided. Yep, this will be a breeze. I was warned at this time of day the usual fifteen minute drive might take a little longer, so it’s time to turn up the FYE CD that had been cranked the entire way up I-5. Why isn’t the damn thing playing? Okay, let's try FM. Nope. AM? Nadda. The bright side is the speedometer is now off by only 10mph, so I won’t need to take my shoes off to figure out the math this time. The directions are spot on, and I arrive at the fair with no further issues. A Mr P deemed safe parking spot is procured from an enterprising lady using her front lawn for only $3 per vehicle. I give her a five and try to communicate “NO DOOR DINGS”. I believe she is from Vietnam originally, and can only hope she understands just how particular my husband is about the car. Not about his wife’s safety and the fact that she will be walking ¾ of a mile back to the car in the dark, but that the precious car remains pure and undented.

I have nearly two hours to kill before the concert starts, so I scope out the food situation and find some Yakisoba noodles amidst the 10,000 hamburger stands. Me and my noodles hang out to people watch. There are many obvious concert attendees of all ages, both male and female, straight and gay. It is nice to see such diversity.

Time to enter the stadium. My seat is in the infield at the back of the level floor section. It is a small raised bleacher with five rows. I am in the fourth row on the aisle. More room to flail!!! I promptly warn the kids behind me that I will NOT be sitting down at all. I'm not sure what they think of that because I am off to find boys3girls0. She and her family are up front, not too far back from the stage. We exchange a quick hug and she kindly shares one of her glowsticks with me and then it is time to return to my seat.

Allison comes on and is very cute and adorable. Her voice is a little worse for the wear since seeing her in July, but I would take her raspy shouty voice in a longer set rather than have to endure another go round from Orianthi. She thanks Adam more than once for this opportunity and at one point becomes quite emotional and has to break song for a minute or two. She finishes her set and the real entertainment begins.

Cue the party music. Out come the beach balls, the conga line forms, and the sing-a-long starts. There is plenty of diversion to fill the nearly 60 minute interval. It was too long a wait, and I even knew what to expect. There were many general fair goers who were not expecting this delay and I could hear some grumbling in my area. FYE, finally, and the crowd erupts!

Suddenly, there he is! A vision clad in purple and black, and the show begins. We have all seen and heard the videos so I will not go into song by song specifics. I will say the sound at this venue was horrible. I was eight seats to the left of the sound board, so I don't know if that would make a difference, or if it was because we were outside. They were a total fail in trying to capture his voice. The mix was off and the helium effect was very prominent for much of the show. Despite these issues Adam managed to make my jaw drop several times with his unbelievable notes. He was not holding back in the least!

We had a full moon competing with the lasers. At one point I turned around to watch them bounce off the metal stadium. Such a cool sight! Perhaps the evening wasn't a sell-out but it sure looked pretty full up in there. There were no pictures showing on the back drop behind the stage, but we did have two Jumbotrons. BB was spectacularly glittery in Mega View! In the blink of an eye IIHY is playing. NO, NO, NO. Not yet, please! Come back, come back. Wow, it took a long time for him to return. Now I know "Entitlement is not sexy," and I did actually repeat this to myself more than once. I had such high expectations for the last U.S. stop, especially after PUU was heard just two days previous, during sound check. But, alas, only TCB. I suspect more than anything, venue time constraints are the reason for this. And as if almost an afterthought, he remembers to call Allison out to the stage where Silly String awaits, then POOF! He's gone!

I make the trek back to my car. All seems to be in good order, down to a fully operational (at the moment) stereo and speedometer. Into the night I go with Music Again blasting at a fevered pitch. All I need to do now is follow the directions in reverse to the hotel, right? Wrong! Note to self: ALWAYS get return directions to the hotel. They may differ. (Ninety minutes later I crawl into my bed.)

In summation this did not beat the overall Epic Portland Concert, but it was a very close second, only because I didn't get to talk to BB this time. I DID get to see him one more time with nearly 10,000 other fans. Being further back from the stage allowed my eyes to see the dancers and lasers, and Adam was GIGANTIC and SPARKLY on the Jumbotron!

Concert Ticket. Free
Hotel Room. Free
Dashboard Cluster and Labor. $600
Seeing Adam Lambert. Absofreakinlutely Priceless
Thanks Glitterbert!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:35 am 
Media Maven

Hollywood, FL
September 19, 2010

Boca Babe
Boca Babe wrote:
I guess I'm the first Hard Rock attendee to check in. I'm sounding like as much of a broken record as Randy Jackson when I say yet again...The Voice is just incredible. I loved the first sentence of Howard Cohen's Miami Herald review: "Adam Lambert is, by far, the greatest vocalist American Idol has ever produced."

Loved it.

However, I can't argue with his comments that the show seems underproduced. I didn't feel that way at all in Melbourne - a much smaller venue. I suspect the show was designed for venues of that size, and IMO it works extremely well there. The Hard Rock, with a capacity of 5,500 butts in the seats, felt different. Part of the problem for me personally was the location of my seat. I was on the second level, very close to the Monte side of the stage. It wasn't a bad vantage point, except that the effect of the lasers was completely lost...and for me, that was a disappointment. Even from the videos, I thought the lasers elevated the look of the show, making it look more expensive than it was. Seeing them in person in Melbourne heightened the perception. Losing them was, for me, a significant loss indeed. It didn't help that, except for a couple of times during the show, the people in my section did not stand. I didn't realize how much it added to the show to have everyone around me standing and dancing their way through the entire thing. It isn't that people weren't appreciative - they were. But they stayed seated. Finally, I don't understand the lack of Jumbotron footage. Even the Melbourne venue had screens for the balcony folks. Even though my seats were close to the stage (if off to the side), I would have appreciated being able to look to a screen for a better view of BB's facial expressions. I have to say I'm happy the Hard Rock show was not my only experience seeing the GNT live, as I don't think I would have fully appreciated how fantastic it could be if it had been.

Which isn't to say I didn't enjoy the show. I did! I was thrilled to be there, thrilled to hear The Voice in person a second time (well, third if one counts the AI tour), and thrilled to see BB playing to such a large audience. Earlier in the show, Adam had announced that while there was one show remaining in the GNT, the Hard Rock stop was their final stop "on the road," as it were, and that night they were saying goodbye to the bus drivers and other support staff. He asked that we give those folks a round of applause for keeping the show on the road. It was a nice touch, made even nicer when the bus drivers made their surprise appearance during IIHY (complete with Adam's much vilified straw hat on one of them). I couldn't see his facial expression when they came out on stage (hello, lack of Jumbotron footage), but he was clearly surprised, and equally clearly delighted. It was a fantastic moment, and really brought home the family feeling among those on the tour. To me, that speaks volumes about the kind of person Adam is. The whole atmosphere of the tour is largely dependent on the person headlining it, and obviously Adam valued everyone...and they valued him.

It was a special treat sharing the experience with fellow AWOP'ers getoverit (who was, of course, also a fantastic traveling companion, roommate and M&G participant for Melbourne), adamamado (with Mom and friend of Mom), and Buder (with M&G friend Jennifer), along with an online friend of mine. With the obvious exception of Buder and Buder's friend, we had a pre-concert dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe, then we all met up after the show to chat, have a couple of drinks (although nobody got Buderschnookied...including Buderschnookie!), and wander around looking at the memorabilia displayed throughout. While we were standing and chatting near the elevators for the North Tower (where getoverit and Buder had rooms), a group of four men walked by. My first thought was "OMG...that's Tommy!" Next to him was a man I didn't recognize, and I wasted a valuable fraction of a second puzzling over his identity before I noticed another member of the party and realized "OMG...that's Neil!" I was so surprised that I almost missed the fourth member of the party, dressed entirely in black from baseball cap to shoes and trying his best to give off anonymity vibes. Yup, it was BB! I mostly saw him from the back, unfortunately. As they walked past, Neil must have seen recognition dawn on our faces, as he smiled and said, "Good evening, ladies!" - although I suspect it was more a preemptive strike to keep us where we were than a genuine expression of goodwill. In any event, none of us made any move to go after them, and they went to the elevators and on their merry way. getoverit was beside herself because she was busy fiddling with her iPhone and missed the whole thing! It was all over in seconds, but it was a great way to end the night.

One of the nicest side benefits of Adam fandom has been the opportunity to get to know - and, in a few cases for me, meet - fellow fans. I first met getoverit and adamamado in person when we traveled together to Tampa for the Jingle Ball in December, and it was great getting to spend time with them again. And I was so happy for the opportunity to meet Buder, who brings so much to this board and is just as much fun in person as one would gather from reading her posts here.

Thank you, Adam. It's been a wonderful summer.

ETA: Fantastic review from the Palm Beach Post: [url=http://www.pbpulse.com/music/concert-reviews/live-shows/2010/09/20/adam-lambert-ready-to-jump-past-mere-idol-fame/][color=#0000FF]Adam Lambert ready to jump past mere 'Idol' fame

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:39 am 
Media Maven

Hollywood, FL
September 19, 2010

getoverit
getoverit wrote:
(Hey, Boca, I'm right behind you!)
I hate to post when I've not caught up, but I am just home from my weekend of GNT, and suffering from GNT hangover! I am sad that my personal GNT experience is over, but at the same time, feeling a happy afterglow.

The Hard Rock performance was wonderful (of course), his voice was soaring. There was a fun ending when his bus drivers surprised him during his Brooke-dance in IIHY, coming out on stage dancing and dressed in South Beach attire, hat and all! It was hilarious! I'll maybe post a recap of Hard Rock experience later, but for now just want to WAVE to Buder, Boca Babe, and Adamamado (and their friends) for making the whole thing even more FUN! I so enjoyed the pre-show dinner and the post-show drinks shared with you guys.

Y'all, Buder is Just As Much Fun in person as she is here on the board. All of you, RUN to ALF to the Media/Photos/Meet & Greet to see her at the M&G where BB & she toasted the end of the U.S. portion of the GNT. So cool! And you can see her brand new tattoo in one photo. I got a nice photo of it up close and will post it, eventually!

ETA - now of course I have to second some of Boca's comments. Like about the lasers - they add so much!!!! richness to the show and are breathtaking - if you are in the right vantage point. I missed all but a fraction of the effect at Thunder Valley in CA because I was close to the stage. At Hollywood last night, I too was on the side and could only see the lasers from the side, and it just was not the same. I did have great seats other than that. But at Melbourne, Goldilocks, the lasers were Just Right! and so beautiful that I actually took my eyes off BB a few times. (I was about 19 rows back in the center.)

And fianlly, yeah DAMMIT, I MISSED seeing him in his walkby!! There was an Elvis display and my sis LOVES Elvis, so I was emailing a photo of it to her - missing the whole thing as it happened!!! Only consolation was knowing his room was in the same Tower as mine. hahahhaha

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:28 am 
Media Maven

Hollywood, FL
September 19, 2010

Buderschnokie
Buderschnookie wrote:
Hard Rock Meet & Greet & concert recap-

Before I start my recap I would humbly suggest that you listen to some music as you read, and I would love if that music could be Queen's Don't Stop Me Now. It totally embodies the feeling of euphoria that permeated my entire trip. Feeling so good that you’re walking the line next right to manic and you are so filled with happy that you think the top of your head might blow off. It’s a rare treat that an entire three day trip goes so smashingly well (I visited old friends the first day), and this trip was that from the moment I left the house to pulling back in the driveway when I got home.
Could not have asked for one thing better!

OK-
Because of the delay in hearing what time I needed to be present for the Hard Rock VIP meet I arrived there a tad early. There was a tall security guy (I shall call him Vinnie, he looked like a Vinnie) in there who was fun to talk to so I and a smattering of other fans spent the time talking to him. Some of them were not VIP people and they were asked to step back outside to wait as the doors had not been officially opened. He kind of almost asked all of us to go outside and that was something I did not want to happen as it was literally 92ºF and 110% humidity out there and I was melted enough as it was.
What is it with Meet & Greets and sweating?

Anyway, I decided that it might be a good idea to turn on my schmooze and befriend Vinnie and we chatted off and on while I waited and I showed him my new Adam Hat tattoo, which he thought was a hoot and made me the craziest Glambert ever. At one point he did tell us we would have to wait outside and as I was mentally calculating how much money I could offer him he was distracted and we were allowed to remain cool.

So as I and maybe 5? 8? Other VIPers were waiting we heard the sound check with Adam singing, and by God he was singing Pick U Up live. This was my absolute favorite song off the original album (since eclipsed by Can’t Let You Go, but not by much) and it has always been a disappointment to me and many other fans that we don’t ever get to see it performed live. But we got it at sound check!!

The vocals were spot on, the band was not. To my uneducated ear it sounded as if part of sound check works with individual instruments and then part focused on vocals, and this was a vocal focus. The band (minus Monte if I am not mistaken) was just kinda sorta hitting chords and made no attempt to stay on beat or hit their marks. But the singing was sublime and he did the entire bridge as was done on the album. I made it a point to listen closely to that part as we have always assumed that the difficulty of that portion was the reason it isn’t done live, but he did it and he did it marvelously. The band plodded along and at the “All my life” time they came in at the wrong moment which spoiled the effect, but the vocals were right there.

So- now going into the Meet & Greet Neil is checking us in and of course Vinnie has to come over and say to me “Show him, show him your tattoo!” As I am standing with Neil I tell Vinnie “No, don’t… he already thinks we’re all a bunch of batshit crazy assholes. He doesn’t need to see this."
Then Neil in his typically deadpan manner says to me “Let me guess, he autographed your arm and you had it tattooed.” and I am sure he is rolling his eyes to himself. I say “No, and it’s not complete yet, but…” and lifted up my sleeve and show him the Adam Hat.
Then Neil says “Actually, that’s kind of cool!”
I am idiot enough to be happy that he approves… maybe I am not ridiculous batshit after all but instead cool batshit.
Yay me!

So standing in line to see Adam, thankfully in a climate controlled setting this time. Not too long a wait either- I think I got in at around 6:30 PM, which for Adam is kind of amazing. We are all making new friends, meeting old friends, everyone is curious about my shirt. I am wearing the VIP t-shirt that I got my last time around. They have run out of t-shirts for this group and we are filling out forms to receive them and no one knows what size to order so they are all looking at mine to try and judge. It really is a gorgeous shirt, and I so appreciate the slight v-neck as I can’t abide having my throat constricted.

Anyway, then I am admitted through the curtain and am in the “almost your turn” line. There is a long table where purses and so on are left so you don’t waste time juggling them while meeting Adam, and the newer, sterner security guy asked me how many items I had to be autographed and I replied “Two”. He then told me to leave my tote bag on the table and I said “No, I can’t…. I have props. For my picture”. He got this long suffering look on his face and said “Ma’am, I’m going to have to see what’s in the bag”. So he goes through my stuff- I have a clipboard with my photos to be signed, some Tic Tacs, and two empty, washed beer bottles I had stuffed full of Kleenex so they wouldn’t drip water on my photos. I had them in my daily use coolies- foam cover things to keep the beer cold. The guy said “You can’t have those in here- there’s no food or drink admitted into the venue” and I told him “They’re empty, they’re washed, they’re not even real beer bottles any more- look, they’re stuffed with Kleenex even!”
He lets me through and he’s definitely thinking batshit.
Screw him, I’m next.

Now I think I kind of fubared my Evansville M&G by babbling and I was determined to do a better job this time. I knew that once the photo was taken the M&G was over, so I tried to keep my back to Neil for as long as possible. As I walked up to Adam he freaking said “Oh, hi! It’s nice to see you again!” and I’m like “Hi!” (what the hell, does he remember me? Really? Or he says that to everyone, I don’t care it’s awesome!). Then I said “Both hands, please?” and held out my hands and he held each of them in each of his while I looked into his eyes and said my spiel:
“You have given us such a wonderful summer- every night we have crappy Ustreams of the show and every morning we have Youtubes of every song and it has been a really great ride. I wanted to do something to commemorate it all, and it is not completely finished but I don’t know when I will have the opportunity to meet you again so…….”

At this point he has kind of a puzzled look on his face like what the hell is she going to do here? I raise up my sleeve and show him the new, very fresh tattoo of the “A” voodoo hat and his eyes lit up and he said “Oh my God! You have to get that in the picture, you have to get that in the picture!” Then he is holding my arm and looking more closely at it and he asks “Did it hurt?” and I said “On the inside part a little bit towards the end but totally worth it.” And he said “That is so cool” and rubbed over it with his finger.
I died from joy!

I move to get out my clipboard with the photos on it for a signature- first one is the demure Flaunt profile and he says “You bring me the oddest pictures to sign.”

Then I flip to the next picture (have your stuff organized!) which is one of him wearing “the green shirt” and I say “This shirt has quite the fan club, I was disappointed that you didn’t bring it along on the tour” and he said “Oh, I should take that with me next week when we go to the warm climate”.

An actual conversation!
I did it!

Then it is photo time and I need to get on the other side of him to allow the tattoo to show and we rearrange ourselves. I tell him “I brought props!” and I pulled out my bottles and tell him I want us to toast Glam Nation 2010. I give him his bottle and we put arms around each other and I swear I didn’t do it on purpose but I’ve ended up with my bottle in the wrong hand, so I have to reach around him in front to get my bottle out of my right hand which is wrapped around his back- I have completely encircled his waist with my arms. I get it right and he looks at the 10 year old worn out coolie cover and says ”Ooh, tropical!”. We smile and Neil takes the picture.

Now I totally did know this as he did it, but my tattoo was not showing in the photo. I said “Oh man, the tattoo wasn’t showing- take another one” and Adam says “Yeah take another one, we need to be able to see the tattoo” and he actually uses his very own hand to pull up my sleeve so Neil can take another pic.

After one more toast to Glam Nation 2010 I put the bottles away (they are going to be enshrined), we hug and I say “I am up front and personal tonight, it’s the last one where you don’t have to be family friendly and I just know it’s going to be a really good show” and he says “Oh good, then I’ll see you!” Then we both “goodbye” and I leave to flail.

I totally took more than my allotted amount of time and I know that. I think the key is to engage him somehow that isn’t same old same old and make it fresh for him. Plus he was in a rocking good mood and really seemed totally happy to be there doing that with I think three groups of M&G’ers.

As far as my impressions, they are so utterly different than that first M&G where honestly, I just don’t feel as if he was in the mood. He had tweeted earlier that day in Indiana about a hangover (it was the morning after the VEVO shoot in Indianapolis), and it showed. We all have had days where going to work is a bit of a struggle- in my career I have even said “Look, I’m here, I’m doing it, and that’s about all you’re gonna get today so don’t ask me to be happy about it” and I think that Evansville was one of those days for him.
But at the Hard Rock he was “on”, he was taller and bigger and had his full presence with him. In Evansville he did not. I feel bad for the Evansville people but try and keep in mind that he is a human person and is not infallible.

The show, the show, the show!
I had second row center and it was everything I could ever ask of an Adam concert. I got eye contact, I saw sweat, I could count the glitters on his fabulous self. I had wonderful people surrounding me except one lady in the front row who sat down (WTF?) and I managed to hit her on the head with my glowsticks at least three times. Get up, bitches! Front row at an Adam show your butt should not see the seat. Anyway, lovely gay couple beside me neither of which were Adam’s type. Older couple behind me who did not quite know what to expect of the show and did not get my desire to get folks moving during intermission (tough crowd in that department). The guy just kept saying “He’s a talented kid”. Glambert beside me- great bunch, good fans all around and I gave away 25 glow sticks and then danced and jumped and screamed and flailed all through the show. I am most decidedly not a dancer, but I was determined (and had drained those beer bottles earlier, plus venue drinks) and I did manage to keep moving the entire night except for “Soaked” when I kid you not a tear or two actually streamed down my face. What an experience to see him do that so closely- he is inside each song for real. I managed to get Isaac to hear me scream his name, and I got Taylor’s attention by screaming his as well during his intro. Props to the lesser known, y’all. Isaac is a very different type of drummer than LP and IMO he is bringing a different energy to the show- he’s more raw. LP is a great technician and I by no means want to diminish even a molecule of his performances as he is totally magnificent, but I found Isaac to be more straight up rock as opposed to duplicating whatever track was used in the studio.
Basic banger in the best possible interpretation of that phrase.

Adam was so on- nothing held back. Every gesture was full bore, every note sung flat out- that boy gave everything he had up there- there was absolutely nothing left to be desired. The videos tell the story- I remain in awe at how someone can have every single possible attribute necessary to do what he wants to do as a career- it’s just amazeballs, the whole package. I swear I got eye contact like 100 times and everything was just so fucking special.

The post show gathering was just as awesome as everything else- a few of us popped a top and rehashed, flailed, squeed, and even managed some real discussion about the nature of fandom and its effect on the career of an artist. I simply could not have asked for a more interesting party to hang out with- getoverit, Boca Babe, Adamadamo and her Mom, our new friend Jennifer, and the banned from everywhere sugarandspice. As the evening wound down we decided to tour the Rock and Roll memorabilia on display throughout the Hard Rock and we wandered without a goal destination looking at tons of really cool stuff. Somehow we ended up at an Elvis display where for no apparent reason we paused to reflect on the whole awesome evening. Then not 30 feet away I saw a group of men approaching, trying their best to be invisible… and one was Tommy!!
Hell…. One was Neil!!
Oh mother humping son of a bitch, one was Adam!!!!

I think I nudged Boca and whispered “Look”. The group kept walking towards us and at about 10 feet away Neil said “Evening ladies” and I swear to you I was never so proud of a group of fans in all my life because not one single one of us uttered the first sound or moved a muscle. We looked- I’m sure our eyes were wide open and did not miss a thing, but we did not make one single solitary sound. Adam and the group turned into the elevator vestibule, got into an elevator and were gone. But it was the specific elevator that went to my room! I was in the north tower with Adam! My fantasy had me right across the hall from him!! That Hard Rock complex is something like 80 acres in size, and we ended up standing right in that spot right at that moment when that entourage walked that 30 feet of space? The only few feet of public space they walked through? It could not have ended any better!
Perfect ending to a perfect experience- my whole trip was fabulous.

I did have a bit of a scare when I woke up at 4AM (I’m a bad sleeper) after maybe two hours of sleeping. I had a strange round bruise on the back of my hand, like I had smacked it against something. I had been drinking, but seriously mostly just water after the show, so not drinking enough to not remember an injury. Spider bite? So hmmm on that one. Then when I go to put on make up I see that my lips are irritated and too red and feel kind of numb. WTF? I think ‘allergic reaction’ and go over what I had eaten the last day- nothing out of the ordinary. Maybe I was dehydrated and my lips stuck to my teeth while I was asleep? What a mystery! So red, numb lips and a red spot on my hand… do I need 911? I can get a disease just from reading about it so I am starting to wonder. As I am thinking about it, it dawned on me- I had been screaming so much at the show that I “opened my mouth opened it wide” to the point of having stretched my lips all out. That’s too funny. And when I put on my watch- it has a large face- I figured out that I must have bent my hand backwards so many times clapping and glow sticking and flailing that the stem has poked the back of my hand to the point of a quarter sized bruise.
All in a night…

I had a lot of airport down time on the way home but I had Adam videos on my iPod and am certain that more than a few people wondered at the crazy lady with the shit eating grin on her face who was chair dancing at gate D4 and on every flight. I found videos I had forgotten (No Boundaries video? All the Idol group sings?) I had added and had myself a ball.
Then got home to find that the husband had done some landscaping work to surprise me and I am ded with happiness. Hyperbole is my friend because that was the best trip ever, the best meet & greet ever, the best concert ever and so on and so on and so on.

And as soon as that tattoo is finished I will be tweeting photos of it to Adam continually- I almost had decided not to do it as I know it raises my Tier of Fandom Level from 1.5 to a solid 2.0 but I SO do not care- I love it beyond words and cannot wait until the feathers, color, and retouch goes on!!

I am A Happy Buderschnookie!!!

And to all you guys here I totally know I have made a complete and utter pest of myself with my flailing and making it all about me lately what with the VIP stuff.
I truly know that something in my writing style makes it sound ... maybe too self centered, or boastful, and annoying especially to some not fortunate enough to have gotten a M&G. I just want to make all you guys feel like you were there because my AWoP peeps are the best anywhere and I SO do not want you annoyed with me.

I will stop now.
Well... soon.
It may take a couple of days.
I LOVE YOU ALL SO FUCKING MUCH!!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:35 pm 
Media Maven

Singapore
September 25, 2010

sleepysleepsleep

sleepysleepsleep wrote:
4.40am in SG now! at home in front of PC!!

Will try to do a more proper recap tml!

Meantime:

1) Vids & Pics
No vids from me coz was holding up Digicam for filming and during DTRH.... a very enthusiastic lady in front of me suddenly raised her arms, our hands bumped hard into each other and my digicam dropped on the floor... The digicam is stuck now with the lens refusing to close.
I'm in the market for a new digicam. Will welcome recommendations of digicam brand and model..
Prefer slim design with very good resolution & ZOOM, for both pictures and video taking.

2) Adam
GOOD SOUND!!! The band was really loud!! But Adam's voice just soared above the music, and the vocals + music gel very well together. Always skipped soaked on the CD, but love the live version! The 1 hour show is way too short!

3) The Kiss
Was surprised by the kiss betw Adam & Tommy, but it's not a big deal. Sure, pple will raise eyebrows b'coz this seldom happen in stage performances, & we're a fairly conservative society, but we all know no one's going to get arrested over a kiss, and pple are unlikely to have any violent objections/reaction. There's a mum with 2 kids ard 10yrs old near me and they also happily stayed till the end of the concert.
Some guys around me were like 'that's gay, etc.', but they still enthusiastically continued filming/taking pics and cheering the entire concert

4) The Homosexuality Law
I think this is like one of the most overlooked law in SG, and I've never heard of anyone being prosecuted over this law (unless is having obscene acts in public place, in which case, even heterosexuals can be charged). No one's going to prosecute a performer for a brief kiss on stage in Singapore, so no worries here.

Frankly, I think even if any same sex partners were to live together and go about living their lives as lifelong partners, they are unlikely to get arrested over this law.

I'm not going to debate with anyone on whether such a law should even exist. It's both a cultural and political issue and at the moment, Singapore is just not ready to go into major discussions on removing such laws.

5) Post-show at hotel bar
Was at a jazz band bar at a nearby hotel relaxing after Adam's show. While we were there, Brook, Sasha, Taylor and Cam walked in. Okay, gotta admit I did a very stupid thing. Was deliberating for very long with my friends on whether I should go over to ask them if can take a pic. Then Brook left the bar, and then Cam left the table, and I thought they're likely all leaving soon... SO while only Sasha & Taylor are at their table, I quickly walked over to ask for photo without seeing what they were doing...
And Sasha asked if we can wait till they have finished eating... and I suddenly realised that they each have a full plate of food that they're eating....
so embarrassing... this is the first time I ever approached pple for photos in an eatery... :< Should have listened to my 'brain-voice' about NOT going over to ask for pics. I felt like a silly fan groupie in the end :<<<
Oh well... as what my friend said - at least had tried, rather than always wondering 'what if' in future... ;p
Anyway, we left the bar shortly after that and didn't try for a photo again (haha... anyway, I'm too embarrassed to ask again even after they finish their meal...). When we left, saw that Brook & Cam are also back at the table...... eating their food...........

That's all for now! ;-)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:46 am 
Media Maven

Singapore
September 25, 2010

meridian
meridian wrote:
Forgive me for interrupting any ongoing discussions but here's my late recap of the Singapore show on the 25th. I apologize in advance for its length and any incoherency as I'm still trying to compose my thoughts.

My memory of the show is such a blur right now but one thing I do know is that the one hour of Adam on Saturday flew by so FAST! Too fast. It felt like five minutes. And it was a good thing I brought my camera along because even with the terrible photos I took, they do help me remember and relive parts of the concert.

We went there really early, perhaps too early now that I think about it. The reason was that we were worried about having to compete with Daughtry's fans for a good standing spot in the Fan Zone, which is a barricaded area that gives 3000 fans much closer access to the Padang stage. The officials were probably worried about having too many people crowding around the stage or something but I honestly thought it was such a redundant measure because there are still going to be a few hundred people pushing up near the stage whether you have a crowd of 3000 or 10,000 but what do I know...

Anyway, because of that limited access to the Fan Zone, we were all anxious to be there early to get the wristbands that will get you into that area. So at 3.30pm, we were already in the Fan Zone line with our wristbands to see Adam. And it was a long wait. We chatted with other fans, made a few new friends and observed the crowd for a bit. We sat on the ground for about two hours, which was not a good idea as our legs were aching after that. Later, we talked to some of the ushers in the area and realized that after Daughtry's performance at 6.15pm, everyone had to leave the Fan Zone and we would have to line up AGAIN to see Adam. I was thinking if we had been lining up for nothing for the past two hours but since a couple of my friends were interested in watching Daughtry, I guess it wasn't all for naught.

Around 6.00pm, the gates to the Fan Zone opened and we all ran in. At this point, I noticed a very short queue (only about 10 people in line) starting at the same time that people were entering the Fan Zone for Daughtry. I knew it was for Adam. My friends wanted to watch Daughtry so they stayed in the Fan Zone but I decided to join that mini-queue for Adam. And it was great (for me and my friends) that not many people seemed to know that you had to queue again for Adam because I was now the 20th person in line, rather than the 50th person in line like earlier so I was quite happy and confident that we'd get a good place near the stage when Adam comes on later. I think some people realized this later (that you had to queue again) and they were trying to leave the Fan Zone before Daughtry's performance started.

So I watched Daughtry's performance from the outside of the Fan Zone. I like Daughtry but as a performer, he isn't very interesting to me. I enjoy a couple of his songs on the radio but live, he was kind of boring as it was like watching one similar song/performance after another. His voice also seemed a bit uneven to me in certain songs. I'm really bad at crowd estimates but I think 10,000 is a bit of an overestimation, at least from my vantage point. But the people inside the Fan Zone were very enthusiastic and I think he was happy with the response whenever he encouraged the audience to sing along.

After Daughtry, there was another 4 hours to go before Adam. If you're wondering about the demographic of Adam's fans that showed up on Saturday, I can tell you that the majority of them were in their late teens and twenties (including my little band of friends). There was a group of fans who had come all the way from China to watch Adam perform and had brought these huge, blue glow sticks. The Malaysian fans that are popular for making this video were also there fully dressed up as "Adam," "Monte" and "Tommy." One group had a big portrait of Adam from his Satisfaction performance on AI and they had they faces painted with glitter. There were also guys wearing "I LOVE ADAM LAMBERT" T-shirts, a couple even had rhinestones around their eyes. And I saw the DJ from radio 91.3, though that wasn't surprising, he has been a very vocal supporter of Adam on his show.

The next few hours felt like an eternity. And the people in line were getting quite subdued by now probably because we were all a little tired and maybe a bit deaf from the F1 cars. I was fiddling with my glow sticks to distract myself. At around 9.30pm, there were performances from the Studio Festi troupe in the central area of the Padang (away from the stage). We were watching it on the jumbotron screens and then suddenly, everyone perked up for a moment. A group of female dancers who were initially demonstrating some neat tricks with metal handles that had flames on both ends suddenly switched to performing with metal head gear that had flames on it. IT WAS ADAM'S FLAMING HEADDRESS! We were giggling about it and I really hope Adam saw it. :)

We were finally let into the Fan Zone at 10pm and people were sprinting towards the stage! Still more than another hour to Adam but it woke everybody up and I could sense the excitement around me. I ended up on the right side of the catwalk, with two fans in front of me. We were all packed like sardines and it was really hot. I think the girl in front of me looked like she was going to pass out because the security guy kept coming back to her to see that she was okay and even asked her a few times if she needed water or something. I think she was probably just too happy and still in a state of disbelief as she got to meet Adam in the M&G :)

Neil did come out to take a few crowd shots and we all waved at him. He seemed to be in a good mood and hung around the stage for a while. There was a cameraman who was interviewing some people near the front and getting close-up shots of fans with the more impressive make-up and cheering paraphernalia. Not sure if they are going to use that footage for some international special of his concerts... everyone was asking but nobody got an answer.

The qualifying rounds finally ended and it was time for GLAMNATION! People were getting restless and any kind of movement on the stage incited screams. There were a few moments of Adam chanting and everyone was straining to catch a glimpse of Adam's silhouette. Finally, the FYE remix came on and the crowd came alive. Everyone was singing and I was super excited. And then there was batshit screaming behind me the moment he started singing Voodoo. The team from China broke out their huge, blue glow sticks when the concert started, and they were HUGE compared to the 12-inch ones that everyone else had.

And I swear, everything that happened after that, happened so fast. I have absolutely NO MEMORY of the lasers. Seriously, nothing. Which sucks because I was looking forward to the lasers. During Fever, he came very close to our side of the catwalk and he must have noticed the huge glow sticks as he danced right in front of them. People around me were singing nearly every single one of his songs. Sleepwalker was fantastic, amazing. It's still my favorite song LIVE. Audience was singing during Whataya Want From Me. Soaked was fucking GORGEOUS, even though there was screaming and people around me singing out of tune during the chorus. SFW was awesome and people were jumping like crazy during IIHY.

I did take a few videos during the concert but I've only managed to upload Fever so far.

If there was one downer (for Adam), it was the sound issues he was experiencing. He went to talk to the sound guy twice and the second time I saw more expressive hand gestures. I think he was a little frustrated. That said, I hope he knows that whatever sound issues he had, it didn't affect his vocal delivery or performance. The audience LOVED him that night.

His voice is truly remarkable live. It's so clear and resonant and I agree with all the comments that videos don't do it justice. Another thing that I noticed is that the energy in his performances don't translate well through video either. I was so surprised by how energetic he was, not to mention that immense stage presence that he has. And he was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO beautiful!!!! Just O.M.G. I hope he didn't see me gaping like an idiot for the first minute or so of the opening medley.

Initially, I was a bit disappointed that I wouldn't get to see Longineu play but WOW, Isaac was on fire that night! Some crazy drumming and he even threw his drumsticks into the audience. I think even Adam was a bit surprised LOL. And I adore Monte so much; he's such a brilliant guitarist.

It's funny how I think the F1 slogan really suits Adam. The circuit park was decorated with flags and banners promoting the F1 event with the words "Nothing Else Comes Close". Indeed. Nothing else comes close to Adam. :)

I will be going to KL for the Malaysian concert on Oct 14th and I will be in the seated section for a different view of the show now that I've experienced the GA atmosphere. And hopefully this time I'll see the lasers.

Anyway, this is getting way too long. I'm really glad I have one more concert to go to because I feel like I missed a lot of the finer details of his concert on Saturday.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:26 pm 
Media Maven

Hong Kong
October 12, 2010

mk88
mk88 wrote:
Hello people!! Just got back home from the concert and dinner. Short recap:

Arrived around 630 and started to queue up. The line looks long and lots of teenagers and really young adult (college kids) in front of the queue. A bit confused for a while where to queue and were in the wrong line of the M&G. Thankfully this Caucasian lady noticed and pointed to us the correct line. Met this wonderful girl from Guangzhou who traveled for two hours alone to attend the concert. She took leave today. Another group behind us comprise of an individual who actually get to go to M&G. I think he works with the organizer/venue or something as he managed to get an autograph for his friend. He mentioned that half of the M&G crowd are people from the Mainland China. There is a Chinese lady that has met Adam 3 times - In Japan, Singapore and Tokyo. He siad it is totally worth it. Sigh... now I need to have a better paying job.

Around 720pm the line started moving. Noticed a lot of non-Asian people. Maybe because its HK? A lot of people dress up - even the boys!!! I saw two boys with funky haircuts and eyeshadows! The people who stands around me comprising of the Chinese gal that were behind me earlier in the queue, a family of three of the parents and their young teenage daughter and a group of family and friends comprising of several young adults and maybe two of three people that could be their parents. Lots of young guys and I think in Asia there is not much problem of skewed demographics. There was a very young boy who most probably was around early teen (tween) who I met while walking to the venue.

As for the concert - Marvelous. He add FYE and broken open to the setlist. Not sure which songs he left out but I am sure that he sang - Sleepwalker, Strut,Sure Fire Winner, Fever, Aftermath, If I had you, WWFM and a few other songs. Encore - MW & 20th Century boy. Hope for WLL in Malaysia!! Lots of bras and panties being thrown on the stage. No kissing - sob sob. Will include more if I can remember the event. >_<

ETA - Lots of fun esp as I end up in the centre and there is only about 10 lines in front of me. So I get a good view most of the time!! Another thing I love is the non existent of opening act. So only waited about half an hour before the concert starts at around 830pm.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:06 am 
Media Maven

Kuala Lampur, Malaysia
October 14, 2010

mk88

mk88 wrote:
Hello people. Just got back from the concert!!

Short recap while things still fresh from my mind. The crowd were insane!! Good vibes.
Unfortunately I sat in front of 4/5 tween girls who are kinda dumb (i need to let out my frustrations). They screamm every 5 seconds - at high pitch. They scream at slow songs. They scream even when there is no Adam on the stage. They also like to wave their banners/cards without realizing that it is disturbing those who are sitting in front of them. I also pity the ones that sat behind them as even though they are short - they practically hold the cards over their head all the time. Hence even though people behind would be standing - the views would be partially obstructed. As for me - I tried to point out to them that you do not scream during acoustics or at least curb the shouting. I believe this curb their behaviour a little but still awful bad concert behaviour. The parents need to teach them better manners. Hate to point this out but they are expat kids. Is it normal in US/UK for tweens to scream every 5/10 seconds during concerts? HK crowd seems to know better when to scream and not to scream during concerts.

So enough whining and more about the concert. There are three opening acts but very short so I do not mind much. After the local opening acts, then the musics came on and I know Adam will come on soon due to my experience in HK. The differences would be - No kisses or even back roll with Tommy during Fever, He threw a kiss to the crowd. No panties or bra being thrown to the stage compare to HK (I wish I had brought men's boxers in HK or was at the front stage to throw panties for him to pick it up) Isaac wears a black shirt instead of shirtless, the dancers alter part of the costumes particularly the ones during IIHY and Adam did not dance that close to Brooke. Otherwise - most of the show are the same with HK. Even the encore is the same. I was hoping for WLL. As for protesters? I did not notice them though. Maybe they were elsewhere or more further than the venue? I arrived around 630pm and was outside of the front venue until 8pm before the concert starts. Wish I had seen them and then I could give them a piece of my mind : )

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next